Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged" Movie

Rate this topic

Johnny Depp as Ragnar Danneskjold,

I think he would do an amazing job he has always had the talent to get deep into his characters I think we would all be pleasently surprised.

I don't know why but Brad Pitt was the first person I thought of when I heard about this as well, I think he would make a great John Galt.

Kevin Spacey...nailed that one for sure and Antonio Banderas he would be perfect.

Dagny will be tuff though...I think it would be almost better to not have a big time actor. Maybe an unknown. That way we didn't have this history that we aligned her with...She would just be Dagny.

AutoJC,

Bad call on Johnny "commie" Depp as Ragnar Danneskjold.

:lol:

You have to realize that some very talented actors have some really screwy political views.

Ragnar Danneskjold would have to be swashbuckling AND natural at the same time. I'm not sure that Russell Crowe, for example, would quite fit the role, although if there isn't anyone else, I suppose he could be called upon. ;)

Hmm... I love Johnny Depp, but you're right, I don't think he'd be right to play Ragnar.  Much as he likes gold, I can't see Ragnar replacing his teeth with it. ;-)

Kevin Spacy as Taggart -- now THAT'S a good call!

I saw Spacey on stage in New Haven.

Yeah, he'd be good as James Taggert.

According to today's Wall Street Journal, it appears that the production of the movie may be delayed, at the very least, by the closing of Crusader Entertainment, which is the company that acquired the film rights to Atlas Shrugged last year. See this page of the Atlasphere's Ayn Rand Meta-Blog for additional information:

http://www.theatlasphere.com/metablog/000115.php

Yes, it looks like it's on hold. The only positive is Crusader is a division of Anschutz Film Group which has other production companies. The film rights are moving to "Bristol Bay." But if they don't start production soon they will run out of time. The rights they have end in less than three years and revert to Dr. Peikoff.

Yes, it looks like it's on hold. The only positive is Crusader is a division of Anschutz Film Group which has other production companies. The film rights are moving to "Bristol Bay." But if they don't start production soon they will run out of time. The rights they have end in less than three years and revert to Dr. Peikoff.

Being an aspiring filmmaker, I'll just have to hope this delays for 18 more years. :)

I have always imagined Christian Bale as Hank Rearden, mostly because of the way he was physically described, and then later because of his very powerful, strong presence. He would be my favourite for that role.

I have always imagined Christian Bale as Hank Rearden, mostly because of the way he was physically described, and then later because of his very powerful, strong presence.  He would be my favourite for that role.

I looked him up, and when I saw this photo, I agreed.

A movie should NOT attempt to fit in everything from the book, especially in Atlas Shrugged's case. One has to adapt the story to fit the medium.

Or they can make a trilogy (and still they wouldn't be able to fit in everything).

I don't believe it should be in Theaters. I think television should be enough. I opt for HBO. After watching Angels In America (though philosophically depraved) it was still 6 hours of beautiful art. Maybe someone should give Mike Nichols a call and ask him to direct 9 hours of Atlas Shrugged. 3 Hours each weekend. 1 part each weekend.

That's a good point.  I wouldn't mind seeing it split into parts so that it could be more complete, a la Kill Bill.

Yes, but many more parts than just two. The original Sterling Silliphant script was considered for something like a ten-part miniseries on NBC, if I recall correctly. Around the same time the wonderful twelve-part Centennial aired, and it was a very big success. A ten-part miniseries would provide the time to depict a great deal of the details of the story. A single or two-part film would, of necessity, cut out a great deal of the characters as well as many of those wonderful scenes.

Strange as it may seem, if not done as a ten-part miniseries, I always thought that an animated series might be a nice way to go. Animation offers a terrific opportunity for stylization.

I am confused.  Why would Atlas Shrugged lend itself to animation MORE than anthem?  While I too was not as much a fan of the animation idea for Anthem, I would see it as more appropriate than for AS.

Well I would consider it, but I wouldn't go with the idea. ;)

You should be confused. This is my own personal opinion. I would love to see Anthem real time. AS just seems more like a very long animated movie to me then Anthem. Yes, philosophically, the AS would be more effective in Real time. But I thinking of mere aesthetic use.

I think Anthem would work as a CGI film though.