Objectivism Online Forum

Reddit

Rate this topic

iviv

I post a lot of Capitalist and Ayn Rand type links on my FB page. This angers many. I was asked if I am a Redditor. I was not a Redditor, but figured I'd try it. Apparently it is a bunch of Obama loving, class envy hating, big govt lovin', folks on there. They post links and people vote them up or down. I tried to give my 2 cents, but one person trying to reason with thousands, was like trying to be heard from the crowd in a full amphitheater. Has anyone ever been on reddit? Am I reading this site wrong, or was I set up?

I go on Reddit almost every day. It is very much like Digg.com before they completely alienated their userbase (at which point most of them simply moved to reddit), meaning that while it contains people of a very large spectrum, the majority are young, extremely liberal technofiles (i.e. people in Computer Science, etc.) and that is mostly what you will get out of the politics section. I suggest you try your luck in reddit.com/r/libertarian or potentially even reddit.com/r/atheism or /freethinkers as people are much more receptive there and there are Ayn Rand postings in there from time to time.

Reddit is simply for sharing things, its not really a political dojo.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

I go on Reddit almost every day. It is very much like Digg.com before they completely alienated their userbase (at which point most of them simply moved to reddit), meaning that while it contains people of a very large spectrum, the majority are young, extremely liberal technofiles (i.e. people in Computer Science, etc.) and that is mostly what you will get out of the politics section. I suggest you try your luck in reddit.com/r/libertarian or potentially even reddit.com/r/atheism or /freethinkers as people are much more receptive there and there are Ayn Rand postings in there from time to time.

Reddit is simply for sharing things, its not really a political dojo.

lest we forget /objectivism

I've had my try at advocating the Objectivist viewpoint on Reddit several times. The key is how you choose to word your argument. When being straight-forward and uncompromising in your remarks, expect downvotes. Lots of them. However, the more targeted you make your remarks - the more specific to a concrete issue - the more likely you are to get sympathizers and supporters.

The Reddit community, like most massive online communities, does not like to deal in large overarching concepts. Most have little to no integrated concepts behind their understanding of epistemology and metaphysics. The community is also getting younger and younger, which unfortunately has led to the upvote/downvote system turning into more of a "whose comment is funniest" contest rather than an indicator of the comment's overall contribution to the discussion topic.

lest we forget /objectivism

Thanks for pointing that out. Oddly enough when I originally tried that when I first actively used reddit (after Digg nuked itself basically) and was searching for subreddits it said there wasn't one, must've been some error.

But yes, /objectivism, /freethinkers and /atheism are the most Oist friendly subreddits I imagine. If anyone has other subreddits that are any good I would love to hear them. The thing with that system is that there are a lot of subreddits that many people have no idea even exist.