Objectivism Online Forum

Bush To Nomiate Rice As State Secretary

Rate this topic

Well, you all have probably heard about Powell's resignation. But did you hear about Bush's intent to nomiate Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State? What do you guys think this nomination indicates? I'm not too familiar with Rice, but being the National Security Adviser, she probably had a lot of input into President Bush's (purported) stand on the "axis of evil".

An improvement over Powell for sure, but that isn't saying much because Powell is a throw-back to the Secretary of States of the era before 9/11.

Well, you all have probably heard about Powell's resignation.  But did you hear about Bush's intent to nomiate Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State? What do you guys think this nomination indicates?  I'm not too familiar with Rice, but being the National Security Adviser, she probably had a lot of input into President Bush's (purported) stand on the "axis of evil".

It will be interesting to see how this nomination shakes out.

I believe that she will be interviewed by a Senate committee which contains Democrats, who no doubt will grill her regarding the intelligence failures connected with the War in Iraq. Unfair to Dr. Rice, but hey, that's the politics of the Whole Language crowd :)

Other than that obstacle, I see no reason why the Senate shouldn't approve this nomination. And I hope they do. She's as qualified as anyone out there.

If I were President, I would make Ann Coulter the Secretary of State. I reckon that would send a good enough message to the Euros and the rest of the State Department's clientele. Sort of like John Hancock's "There, I guess King George will be able to read THAT!"

Actually, among the kind of people President Bush can be expected to appoint, Dr. Rice is perhaps the closest to that ideal. So I say this is great news!

If I were President, I would make Ann Coulter the Secretary of State. I reckon that would send a good enough message to the Euros and the rest of the State Department's clientele. Sort of like John Hancock's "There, I guess King George will be able to read THAT!"

Nominated for Post of the Day.

Do you mean as Secretary of Defense?

Yes. I'm a fan of Rumsfeld, but I feel he's worn out his image. Certainly, there are questions about how the occupation has been miserably carried out. Personally, I place most blame on the media. Rice, though, would be a more effective defense secratary in my humble opinion.

• 1 month later...
Well, you all have probably heard about Powell's resignation.  But did you hear about Bush's intent to nomiate Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State? What do you guys think this nomination indicates?  I'm not too familiar with Rice, but being the National Security Adviser, she probably had a lot of input into President Bush's (purported) stand on the "axis of evil".

Dr. Rice is a brilliant choice, however, her talents will be wasted unless and until Bush resolves to treat America's enemies much more severely

• 2 months later...
If I were President, I would make Ann Coulter the Secretary of State.

Hmm, the choice of John Bolton for U.N. Ambassador comes pretty close to it!

‘There is no such thing as the United Nations.’

‘If [the U.N. building] lost ten storeys, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference.’

‘If I were redoing the Security Council, I’d have one permanent member ...the United States.’

‘It is a big mistake for us to grant any validity to international law even when it may seem in our short-term interest to do so — because, over the long term, the goal of those who think that international law really means anything are those who want to constrict the United States.’

A very pleasant surprise! :(

When did he make these quotes and in what context?

He made them at various times over the past couple of decades; I do not know the specifics of what the context was, but I do think he meant what he said.

The quotes have appeared in The Telegraph, among other places.