Objectivism Online Forum

The Real Monster

Rate this topic

Summer

Note: As usual, I am not looking for tips regarding my writing style. Thank you.

The Real Monster

By: Summer

He has torn apart our dreams and He has robbed us of our identities.

He has taken away our words and stolen all possibility of protest by support of the victims who believed themselves free. He told us not to look others in the eyes, and He declared that our purpose was to serve. Because this was consistent to our general understanding of human impotence, we believed Him.

It was easy to be His friend, for He was not selective. He forgave us everything, and He told us to pity the perpetrators who experienced misfortune. It was demanded that we give to those who could not earn, because it was not their fault that they were stupid, weak, broken.

To be sufficient was evil. To be in want of money was grand. To need charity made you an instrument in God’s work. We sought enchantment through your hardships. The selfish were scorned, but we were reminded not to judge the guilty, for they were to be lamented.

He took our hands and He bit our wrists and He drained us dry. The shadow always wore a smile. He wanted to help the world. An ideal, so pretty on paper.

Fools. Imbeciles. Monster – the real monster.

He instructed us not to “lean upon thy own understanding”. It was a Bible verse, and so it had to be true. And then we knew in our heads – not our hearts – that something was wrong. We dared not speak of it. For indeed, this was the nature of our standard.

Edited by Summer

I very much like the style. Very poetic!

My favorite parts:

Fools. Imbeciles. Monster – the real monster.

And then we knew in our headsnot our hearts – that something was wrong. We dared not speak of it. For indeed, this was the nature of our standard.

Is this a beginning of a story?

Thank you for recognizing that, D'Anconia.

I wrote the above in my advanced history course, as we reviewed the Declaration of Independence. The document (as you know) opens by addressing the grievances which the colonies had undergone, prior to declaring themselves a sovereign nation, and I started scribbling this down in my notebook as a sort of Declaration of Independence from modern philosophy.