Objectivism Online Forum

How to set priorities?

Rate this topic

Kruppz

I'm a college student. I often have a lot of things to get done and enough time too! But I always have this problem of not being able to decide & prioritize effectively as a result of which I end up not completing all the tasks within the given time frame. Prioritizing itself takes a great deal of my time. I also have difficulty maintaining proper balance between academic and non-academic interests. How do you guys go about setting goals & short-term priorities, & allotting appropriate time for the same?

• 2 months later...

In grad school, I reached a point where I knew I would not be able to do 100% of the reading and work assigned to me. What I did was figure out exactly what had to be done and what would count for a grade, and start there. For example, so assigned reading was never tested or really monitored, or was really only used for class discussions. This is a fancy was of saying "I was a really good BSer."

In grad school, I reached a point where I knew I would not be able to do 100% of the reading and work assigned to me.

I hated that about formal schooling. I had to approach it the same way and estimate how much need to be done for each professor, which ended up with some really strange outlays of time, with say, 70% devoted to one class, 15% to another, and 5% each to the other 3. It caused me to spend my time and energy not based on the areas of my greatest interest but rather on how much of a hard-ass the prof wanted to be.

As far as each class goes, the syllabus makes it fairly easy to discern priorities. If the 2 exams are worth 60% of your grade, quizzes are worth 35% and homework 5%, then homework is an after thought if you have free time after everything else is done. If you have 4 exams worth 20% each and homework worth 20%, you have to do it to avoid praying for a C.