Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Bands

Rate this topic

realitycheck44

Toolboxnj: Do you like Thursday or Senses Fail, if you don't already know about them, they are both really good harder bands.

The Killers are also one of my favorite bands. From their debut album, Mr. Brightside and Smile Like You Mean It.

I've never heard of those two. If it's good driving music, I'll surely give it a listen. I drive about 70 miles a day, so music makes the ride more enjoyable.

From what I've heard I really enjoy The Killers. On XM they give em good airtime, so whenever the reciever finds one of their songs I give it a good listen. We could all relate to Mr. Brightside, eh? :ninja:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatsup guys?

Here are some things I'm listening to.

1) My Chemical Romance. If you like Coheed and Camrbia...you HAVE to check out MCR. They are AWESOME. In pop-punk the dominating trend is to go for effeminate vocals (read AFI, Coheed, MCR, The Used). MCR is no different, but they have their own unique spin on it.

I seriously recommend downloading or listening to "The Ghost of You".

If you wanna get a listen, IM me over AIM. My screename is "Tryptonique."

2) AFI/The Used (two really great bands).

AFI has been around for forever and they have really really great material. I recommend buying the album "Sing the Sorrow" "Black Sails in the Sunset" or "The Art of Drowning."

The Used has GREAT material. I recommend the following from them:

"The Taste of Ink"

"Noise and Kisses"

"Blue and Yellow"

"The Poet."

3) Julien-K post-381-1102734621_thumb.jpgpost-381-1102734638_thumb.jpg

You can listen to a demo of one of their songs from their upcoming album here: http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...20041210190021) .

This band is awesome! It is a side project of two Orgy members (Amir Derakh and Ryan Shuck).

Amir is soooo cool. The dude designs guitars for Jackson and Yamaha. He has a degree in producing from UCLA and has been in the music business for 20 years. He is also an incredible pioneer in modern guitar for his use of the G-Synth in rock recording.

Julien-K is an electronica/dance/club and rock hybrid that is definitely worth a look.

I happened to meet both Amir and Ryan after an Orgy show and they are really fun to chat with. Amir even hooked me up with a JK button and I was quite pleased:).

4) Cold.

I LOVE this band. They are incredibly dark lyrically, but their music is really really well put together. In fact, Rivers Cuomo (lead singer of Weezer) is a big fan of Cold and even worked on "Stupid Girl" which was their big hit from "Year of the Spider" (their third album).

"13 Ways to Bleed Onstage" and "Year of the Spider" are both two of my favorite albums to come out in the last couple of years.

The recently did a song for Psi-Ops..a Playstation 2 videogame.

The song is called "With My Mind" and you can listen to it HERE: http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...=20041210190527

I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

I can understand reluctance at going for "pop-punk."

I think PP is a bad label though just like I think "Nu metal" doesn't really accurately describe the burgeoning hard rock genre that happened after grunge.

I think PP describes some bands very well like Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, and Simple Plan.

AFI's punk roots go back REALLY far, though. In fact "Total Immortal" was covered by The Offspring at one point.

If you like AFI, check out some of the other recommendations I made.

ah yes....I CANNOT believe I didn't recommend this band!!!

Check out Kill Hannah! You can check out their media player right here:

http://buzztone.atlanticrecords.com/killhannah_kennedy/

If you like AFI, buy "For Never and Ever" by Kill Hannah immediately!

:)

As far as Blink-182....they have SOME good songs.

I recommend:

-"Dammit"

- " Josie"

- "All of this" (featuring Robert Smith of The Cure)

- "Violence"

They don't have many good songs, but they have those ones at least.

-Evan

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it's probably the best new thing that's come out of my car stereo in a long time :D I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else. Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now :confused:

I'll take some of your suggestions as well. Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I'm saving my shekels :D

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it's probably the best new thing that's come out of my car stereo in a long time  :D  I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else.  Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now  :confused:

I'll take some of your suggestions as well.  Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I'm saving my shekels  :D

Sing the Sorrow is a really good CD. It's too bad that my local radio station only plays one song off it now.

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it's probably the best new thing that's come out of my car stereo in a long time  :D  I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else.  Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now  :)

I'll take some of your suggestions as well.  Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I'm saving my shekels  :D

Ok...here are my exact recommendations:

1) The Used = "The Used" (self titled)

2) Kill Hannah = "For Never and Ever"

3) My Chemical Romance = "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge"

4) Coheed and Cambria = "The Second Stage Turbine Blade"

A good unsigned band whose singer left:

Camera = http://www.garageband.com/artist/camera (I'm friends with this band and I'm going to hang out with them over X-mas.)

Some songs that strike an Objectivist chord inside of me:

"Warning" - Incubus

"Vindicated" - Dashboard Confessional (I really don't like this band but this song is brilliant and reminds me of Hank Rearden in a lot of ways)

Hey guys I'm new but I just had to join when I saw y'all discussing these bands. Here are some of my favorites (some may not be objective but they are still great... I think so anyway):

1) Taking Back Sunday- Just became a BIG fan about 3 months ago and I'm hooked. A lot of their lyrics really hit home for me. I like "One-Eighty by Summer" "My Own Disaster" and many more.

2) Dashboard Confessional- I'm a bit of a romantic so I like most of his songs. The vocals are emotional and his songs are lyrically sound. And Yeah, Vindicated is one of those songs that I love to scream/sing in the car on the way home from work.

3) Third Eye Blind- This band is semi-commercialized and I don't like that. It has shown in their lyrics over their latest CD. But most of their old stuff is really good. Again, I'm a romantic and I just get into most of their stuff because of it. I really like "Blinded" "Motorcycle Driveby" "God of Wine" and "I Want You" but those are some of their more mellow tracks. Check out some of the others and y'all may like them more than those that I have recommended.

I've checked out some of the other bands that y'all posted and I really like them a lot too. Especially Cold. Great recommendation there. Anyway, let me know what y'all think. :santa:

2) Dashboard Confessional- I'm a bit of a romantic so I like most of his songs. The vocals are emotional and his songs are lyrically sound. And Yeah, Vindicated is one of those songs that I love to scream/sing in the car on the way home from work.

See, I find their lyrics to be very good and their sense of life/romance to be VERY well honed and top notch. What I don't like the fact that stylistically the songs don't change much in terms of "vibe" or overall emotional impact. They also don't change much in terms of vocal range. Everything is a big emotional ballad with Dashboard. It is like the paintings are all composed using the same colors and brushes. I like things slightly more varied, but that doesn't make Dashboard less of a band or even a "not so great band." I think they are definitely talented and worth at least a listen or more depending on your personal preferences.

3) Third Eye Blind- This band is semi-commercialized and I don't like that. It has shown in their lyrics over their latest CD. But most of their old stuff is really good. Again, I'm a romantic and I just get into most of their stuff because of it. I really like "Blinded" "Motorcycle Driveby" "God of Wine" and "I Want You" but those are some of their more mellow tracks. Check out some of the others and y'all may like them more than those that I have recommended.

How about "Semi-charmed Life"? That song is excellent.

1) Taking Back Sunday- Just became a BIG fan about 3 months ago and I'm hooked. A lot of their lyrics really hit home for me. I like "One-Eighty by Summer" "My Own Disaster" and many more.

Their first CD "Tell All Your Friends" was my favorite CD for a long time. Then the band semi broke up with John Nolan (backing vocals) and Sean Cooper (guitar) leaving to form Straylight Run, who are extremely good. I have the new TBS cd, but I wasn't especially impressed (but that might be because I like John Nolan much more than Adam Lazzara). Definitely check out Straylight Run and the first TBS cd, if you haven't.

Dashboard Confessional is okay, but when Chris Cabbara was with Further Seems Forever, they were definitely better. Check out "The Moon is Down"

Blink-182's Dude Ranch cd is definitely their best, but the newest self titled one is probably second.

Since nobody has mentioned Saves the Day, their first two albums are extremely good.

Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly are both great. Irish punk rock with violin and mandolin. Dropkick is basically a bunch of drunk guys singing bar songs. Very funny, but I like Molly better.

Both of Brand New's albums are awesome! Especially Deja Entendu, the latter one. If you haven't heard it, it is seriously good. Probably my all time favorite album (along with Tell All Your Friends).

Minus the Bear and Built to Spill are also good.

Both of Thursday's cd are exceptional. Senses Fail's "Let It Enfold You" is good too.

Zak

Wow, I am officially out of all loops. I don't know any of the bands of the last 12 posts (except blink-182, and they should be flogged and burned in an alley).

Think I'll go play some Stones.

Don't worry about it. (Like you care anyway). I enjoy the Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Bruce Springstein, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and others. What do you recomend, besides AC/DC? I am always looking for good music that my mom might allow me to play in the car.

New age: I forgot Ben Folds (Rockin' The Suburbs is a great cd!), A Thorn For Every Heart, and Fall Out Boy.

Don't worry about it. (Like you care anyway). I enjoy the Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Bruce Springstein, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and others. What do you recomend, besides AC/DC? I am always looking for good music that my mom might allow me to play in the car.

New age: I forgot Ben Folds (Rockin' The Suburbs is a great cd!), A Thorn For Every Heart, and Fall Out Boy.

I think that for pure current talent I'd have to say the number one band is Tool. Anima is a masterpiece from beginning to end.

Outside of those three: Stones, Tool, AC/DC, my tastes go completely over to choral music. But, I like the large armaggedon type that sound like godly forces. If you have ever listened to the end of a song called Diary of a Madman by Ozzy Osbourne with those voices that sound like they are from the Omen. I simply love that.

I also love Schubert's vocal works. And (since nobody here can point me out in public!) I love Jewel's first album.

Okay, yeah. If you've heard of and listened to Fall Out Boy I definitely like you! They actually take emo music and make it original, something unusual in the genre sometimes.

I need someone like you around here to go to shows with me. :lol:

P.S. In terms of classic rock, I assume you've tried The Who ("Won't Be Fooled Again" is one of my all time favorite songs). Also, check out T.Rex's first album, Electric Warrior. And, of course, you can never go wrong with '60s and '70s Eric Clapton. My personal favorite is his work with Derek & the Dominos.

Velvet Revolver is awesome. If you like GnR or STP, check them out!

Frankly I LOVE Stone Temple Pilots and think GnR was a tight band. Scott Weiland is a brilliant vocalist and Slash is a cool guitarist. Putting them together has worked in a way that allows them both to compliment each other and create something unique unlike Audioslave which is like RATM-Lite.

Well he isn't a band. And he isn't famous, but he is incredible.

One of my best friends, Duke Greene, creates music. He calls it "Acoustic Spirit Rock"

This is straight from his website:

Duke Greene calls his music acoustic spirit rock. "It's not about a section in the music store where you'll someday find my albums," he says. "It's about the method." He explains:

"Acoustic is obvious. It's my instrument, an acoustic guitar. It's genuine, it's rich, it's simple, it's complex. I have a bond with my guitar; our voices are one. Spirit is about the fact that the music is real. Sometimes it's about spirituality, sometimes it's about yearning, but it's always grounded in the human spirit. It's about being real, never fake. You'll never hear a synthetic note or digital drumbeat in my music. Only real musicians, real instruments, real voices. Real music. If you want to live music, it has to be real. Rock is about where it takes you. It's about moving you from one place to another... it's what real music always does. Expands horizons, opens perspectives, rocks the world. One person at a time."

Acoustic spirit rock. Hear it. Dig it. Live it.

Is that not objectivism??? I introduced him to Rand our sophomore year of high school, because I saw in him a Roark. He learnt it, believed it, and lives it.

A quote from his song, Promise "And every time I promise myself joy and love and new-life bringing, I promise me, I'm gonna be: the answer to my dreams"

He once was strumming a new song on his guitar in a hallway, and a young girl came up to him and asked "Is that real music or did you write it?"

he looked up incredulously and said "Both."

Have I plugged him enough yet?? :)

Well, if I have piqued your interest, his site is on my signature. I would urge you to check him out, and perhaps purchase his demo. I want this so much, because I am something of a Heller for Duke. I promote him because I want to hear more of him. And I am selfish enough to want to hear the beauty he creates everywhere.

-Powers-

Some of my favorites:

Jazz- Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker

Category of their own- Beastie Boys

Classics- Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, The Doors, Iggy Pop

Alternative - Radiohead, And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Beck (old stuff), Blur, Dandy Warhols, Pixies, The Breeders, Smashing Pumpkins (old stuff), Bush, STP, RHCP, Nirvana, The White Stripes, Weezer (old stuff), Frank Black, Matthew Good Band

Guilty pleasures (w00t) - NOFX (old stuff), Chixdiggit, Blink 182 (old stuff), Millencollin, some MXPX, Offspring, Sublime, Unwritten Law

Forgot the KinkS!

Only one person has suggested any jazz, the pinnacle of technical (excepting classical musicians) and improvisational prowess in music. Listening to jazz is certainly not a passive, animalistic experience. Rather, it is active, challenging, and ultimately much more rewarding than any current pop/rock music out there now. I find it interesting that more of you haven't given jazz more credit considering the abundance of objectivists here who supposedly lionize the prime movers. Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz. You can argue all day about who the greatest rock guitarist was, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, but compared to guys like Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, or Jim Hall, they're playing kids' stuff. Likewise for horn players, pianists, etc. These guys dedicate their lives to creating the absolute best music possible, as do classical musicians. Pop and rock guys don't. Their technical ability - tone, accuracy, range - is laughable. There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

(w00t)

Only one person has suggested any jazz, the pinnacle of technical (excepting classical musicians) and improvisational prowess in music. Listening to jazz is certainly not a passive, animalistic experience. Rather, it is active, challenging, and ultimately much more rewarding than any current pop/rock music out there now. I find it interesting that more of you haven't given jazz more credit considering the abundance of objectivists here who supposedly lionize the prime movers. Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz. You can argue all day about who the greatest rock guitarist was, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, but compared to guys like Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, or Jim Hall, they're playing kids' stuff. Likewise for horn players, pianists, etc. These guys dedicate their lives to creating the absolute best music possible, as do classical musicians. Pop and rock guys don't. Their technical ability - tone, accuracy, range - is laughable. There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

(w00t)

Not necessarily. Some guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, or Steve Vai have been compared to classical greats like Paganini for their sheer techincal ability. There is a lot of technical stuff that is brilliant out there if you know where to look.

The one thing you are missing though is musical ability as the sole qualifier of "good music" isn't necessarily the most important criteria for truly good music. Sometimes great depth can be found in simplicity.

One of the things that makes pop music popular is the way that it takes crow epistemology into account. The songs are typically short and do not place a large demand upon your awareness. Lyrics are quick and to-the-point. Musical motifs are simple (but powerful) and usually involve simple measures. A good pop tune is like a good principle in that it compacts a plethora of information into a single retainable unit. I see these as virtues for pop music. -Ray Vernagus on OO.net

It is a full package deal. It is lyrics and multiple instruments combined to ultimately SAY something.

Often times the lyrical message can be quite complex (I love analyzing lyrics as it has been a hobby of mine for YEARS)and the musical message isn't MEANT to overshadow the message but suplement it.

With classical music, the message IS the music.

In pop/rock...the message comes in two parts:

1) The lyrics

2) How they are delivered (vocally and instrumentally...or in one word:musically)

I think both are equally important to make a truly memorable and good rock/pop song. However, the premium isn't placed solely on composition.

It doesn't mean that there aren't rock musicians out there capable of doing Pagannini type stuff on guitar (Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Joe Satriani limited extent) all can work a fretboard like crazy insane devil-gods.

They also don't write vocal stuff for the most part and when they do it isn't NEARLY as successful as their instrumental stuff.

There are metal bands like Symphony X, Iced Earth, etc that actually are really really really really technical as far as musical composition goes. They are rarities though and they are an aquired taste. In all honesty, you would probably rather stick to straight classical than classical/rock hybrids.

It would be frickin' INSANELY difficult to play like Rachmaninoff, Sebelius, or Stravinsky and sing at the same time (which is what Joe Loeffler does when he plays guitar and sings at the same time for Chevelle). If you are going to sing and play...one of them is going to take a backseat. What a lot of bands do to make up for that is they have two guitarists. The frontman just becomes the rythm guitarist (like James Hetfield) and the other one does lead (like Kirk Hammet).

Other bands just do what they do which is write/play pop/rock music. For what it is worth, some of them do a damn good job at what they are going for musically which is fundamentally different than that of a classical musician.

Jazz is primarily an instrumental genre. Comparing it to rock/pop is silly and a waste of time.