Objectivism Online Forum

Non-Absolute Free Speech in Canada

Rate this topic

choo

In a judgment this week, the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal agreed with Pardy's argument that (Comedian) Earle's comments insulted her dignity, self-respect and feelings. The tribunal ordered Earle to pay her $15,000 and the owner of the restaurant, Salam Ismail, to pay her $7,500. The commission also ordered another $320 be paid to Pardy for lost wages

Full Story

For those in Canada... I'm very sorry to report this horrendous slap at free speech.

Apparently being insulted at a comedy club by a comedian is illegal.

This case has set a new precedent, guaranteed to be used again by the next person whose feelings have been hurt (but only if they are gay/female/trans-gender/Mormon/circumcised/other...)

Edited by choo

Full Story

For those in Canada... I'm very sorry to report this horrendous slap at free speech.

Apparently being insulted at a comedy club by a comedian is illegal.

This case has set a new precedent, guaranteed to be used again by the next person whose feelings have been hurt (but only if they are gay/female/trans-gender/Mormon/circumcised/other...)

It is the law which needs to be changed. The role of a judge is to follow the law so this is not surprising.

On the upside of things - Ezra Levant got his own TV show on Sun TV network (new network launched this month - sort of "Fox of the north" - right wing, all news channel) in which he is bringing public awareness to these issues. His show has a very explicit thematic focus on freedom and proper individual-state relationship. Very exciting. Until now the radical Left had monopoly on news in Canada.

I agree with Sophia, at least there is a dissenting voice here now.

Problem is, the vast majority of people here do not see restrictions on free speech as being a limit on free speech. It's like they believe free speech is for things people want to hear, and not for positions contrary to the established norms.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching a fair bit of Sun News Network since it came on the air. I have found it to be a refreshing change from the stultifying statist status quo that pervades Canadian media. I will have to bombard SNN with emails to make sure they get Paul McKeever on the air. We have an Objectivist leading a political party here in Canada and I think SNN would be a great platform for Paul McKeever and the Freedom Party of Canada.

Ezra's show is overall pretty good. He's been quite relentless in shining a light on the Orwellian antics of the Human Rights Commissions.