Objectivism Online Forum

Rand Serial Killer Link

Rate this topic

That video of her's is pretty tame. The snippets are short, but essentially accurate.

As for the Hickman connection, you're not going to rebut something like that in a small FB post. At best, you can simply say that she called Hickman a "degenerate", and any interpretation must account for that. Also, we're talking about a novelist planning a novel. What next? should we call Shakespeare evil for imagining Macbeth?

noztnac, keep in touch with reality. You are not going to convince anyone there to believe anything other than what they want to believe which is, in this case, that Ayn Rand is a sociopath.

They are beyond the reach of facts and rational argument. Instead of "setting them straight", leave a link or three to the appropriate Ayn Rand Lexicon entry and move on. I see someone commented on her statement that few deserved love. Very well then, post a link to the Lexicon entry for Love.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/love.html

Maybe quote a few lines from the entry. Aim at getting people to visit the lexicon and look around. You can't profit from "debating" those not open to discovering what Rand actually meant. But maybe, just maybe, someone reading the comments will follow the link and start thinking for themselves.

Edited by Alfred Centauri

I have no intention of spending more of my life arguing this subject... but you're welcome to read my previously published/posted thoughts on the matter if they're any use:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2456296

I don't think you're ever going to change the minds of the willfully ignorant.

However, her thoughts on the matter were an interesting. People who would do anything to discredit Rand (short of actually picking up a book) cherry pick certain phrases and standing alone, out of context they do look pretty bad.

I'd highly recommend reading the Journals of Ayn Rand. You can read her thoughts on Hickman in context, in their entirety. It is nearly impossible to mistake her intentions.

It might be worth pointing out that many on the left love Truman Capote. He's a writer with a very real connection to murderers. And I'll bet a lot of the people smearing Miss Rand are people who enjoy art that romanticizes bad guys and also advocate our courts being soft on violent criminals. Among them are likely people who thought the 9/11 mastermind should be tried by Judge Judy. If Ayn Rand really had a connection to a serial killer, wouldn't the left like her more?