Objectivism Online Forum

Osama bin Laden dead

Rate this topic

Breaking news: OBL dead, due to U.S. military action not old age or kidney failure. (Surprise!) U.S. claims to have body.

Cheap one-line analyses to be found in the media in the next week (you read them here first):

Obama found the death certificate!

One less October surprise for 2012.

Global war on terror over, we won. TSA, half of U.S. military to be dissolved.

Afghan war over for U.S., troop pull out can begin now.

White House says an announcement to be made by President at 10:30 p.m. eastern. 1 hour later still nothing.

Rumors: OBL killed in a mansion near Islambad, Pakistan ("a senior U.S. official tells CNN."). Shot in the head, not a drone strike. A week ago.

No one in Pakistan noticed a special forces op in the middle of Pakistan?

Edited by Grames

No one in Pakistan noticed a special forces op in the middle of Pakistan?

I think that is their job...

Anyways, they have prepared for any imminent or future retaliatory attacks that may come because of this news:

The military went FPCON (Force Protection Condition) BRAVO. http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=223221414359078&id=124355610912326

(Yeah, I know, it's an fb link but its from Fort Leonard Wood Garrison Command.

Glad the guy was killed and all, but Did we not know that he was going to die at some point anyway? Will this make us freer? Will the war on terror be over now? I'm not exactly seeing that as an affirmative at this point.

tweet:

SAO: Pakistani officials briefed only AFTER the raid was successfully completed. U.S. had "legal and moral obligation to act" on info it had

Blake Hounshell

@blakehounshell Doha

Managing Editor of Foreign Policy magazine

There's an important symbolism in him being killed by the U.S. rather than dying of kidney failure.

Don't mean to nitpick here, since you are correct on the first part, but he had kidney stones. If he had the kidney issues people were suggesting he would have been dead not long after he escaped the bombing of his last hideout.

Glad the guy was killed and all, but Did we not know that he was going to die at some point anyway? Will this make us freer? Will the war on terror be over now? I'm not exactly seeing that as an affirmative at this point.

Glass half empty? Cheer up, this is an important psychological victory.

Glad the guy was killed and all, but Did we not know that he was going to die at some point anyway?

We're ALL going to die at some point. The question is when and how much could we have accomplished if we had longer than we would have if we were shot down before our natural death.

I agree the symbolism is important. I'm guessing the Taliban aren't thinking... well, he was going to die soon anyway so it might as well be at the hands of our sworn enemies. And we are glad they took his body too so we won't have to worry about funeral costs. I'm sure the American will give him a burial suited for our heroic leader.

Edited by RationalBiker

Wrap him in pork. (Pork that's going bad and unsaleable--no need to waste good bacon.)

This is a happy day, WAY too long in coming. He got away for over 9 1/2 years. Those who sheltered and succored him should be the next targets.

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito

We can say what we want about his ulterior motives, but the truth is Obama may well deserve some credit here. During his presidential campaign, he was the one candidate who challenged the assumption that we should trust the Pakistani leadership. George Bush was in denial that our Pakistani allies could commit the treachery of hiding Bin Laden. Now it seems clear they were doing just that. Bin Laden was living in a huge compound that was only 60 miles from the Pakistani capital of Islamabad. Obama was sharp enough to keep the Pakistani's from knowing about this operation until it was too late for them to warn Bin Laden.

If George Bush had half a brain, Bin Laden would likely have been dead years ago.

The Navy Seals deserve enormous credit, but Obama, unlike the naieve Mr. Bush, made it possible for the mission to be successful. He gets some kudos as well. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Surprise, surprise. surprise, Usama. No 72 virgins for you. Just well-deserved oblivion. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving sack of manure.

We can say what we want about his ulterior motives, but the truth is Obama may well deserve some credit here. During his presidential campaign, he was the one candidate who challenged the assumption that we should trust the Pakistani leadership. George Bush was in denial that our Pakistani allies could commit the treachery of hiding Bin Laden. Now it seems clear they were doing just that. Bin Laden was living in a huge compound that was only 60 miles from the Pakistani capital of Islamabad. Obama was sharp enough to keep the Pakistani's from knowing about this operation until it was too late for them to warn Bin Laden.

If George Bush had half a brain, Bin Laden would likely have been dead years ago.

The Navy Seals deserve enormous credit, but Obama, unlike the naieve Mr. Bush, made it possible for the mission to be successful. He gets some kudos as well. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Surprise, surprise. surprise, Usama. No 72 virgins for you. Just well-deserved oblivion. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving sack of manure.

I wonder what Pakistan will have to say about this.

I know whatever it is, unless it's craven abject apology, what my response would be.