Objectivism Online Forum

Parenting and the VanDamme Academy

Rate this topic

d'Anconia

That article was definitely atrocious. I'm honestly surprised that this wasn't addressed.

"Western parents try to respect their children's individuality, encouraging them to pursue their true passions, supporting their choices, and providing positive reinforcement and a nurturing environment. By contrast, the Chinese believe that the best way to protect their children is by preparing them for the future, letting them see what they're capable of, and arming them with skills, work habits and inner confidence that no one can ever take away.

But ARE you letting them see what they're capable of, if you won't even let them decide what extracurricular activities they take?

Well, in all fairness to the Mommy Dearest that wrote this article, the article was an excerpt from her book. She never claimed it was a "how to" guide, she just recalled memories of her parenting trips. She never actually admitted that she went way too far, but she said "I didn't want to lose my daughter". Kinda seems to me like another way of saying "Mistakes were made" - didn't want to actually say that she went way overboard, and sacrificed the happiness of her daughters for superficial success.

I still think it's kind of disingenuous for her to entitle this excerpt from a book with "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior". She posted it in a way to make it look like she was seriously advocating this.

Edited by Black Wolf

A lot of times the editor of a publication changes the title or headline. In newspapers there's even less connection: I don't believe the reporter even proposes a headline; the headlines are written by people whose job it is to write headlines.

So it may be incorrect to blame her for the title.