Objectivism Online Forum

How to Detect Lying as it Happens

Rate this topic

Become a Human Lie Detector

I was going to summarize the info there here, but the original site is pretty concise. I found myself copying/plagiarizing, and that would be bad. So here are just the headers to foment interest:

Signs of Deception:

Body Language of Lies

Emotional Gestures & Contradiction

Interactions and Reactions

Verbal Context and Content

Other signs of a lie

Eye Direction and Lying:

Visual Accessing Cues (references the dubious theory of NLP, but works as a stand alone technique)

Micro Expressions, Subtle Body Language and Lying

What are Micro Expressions?

A Brief History of Micro Expression Theory

• "The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals", Charles Darwin (1872)

• Facial Action Coding System (FACS) ("... facial expressions of emotion are not culturally determined, but biological in origin and universal across human cultures.")

Micro-Expressions and Lying

Statement Analysis® How People's Words Betray Them

Intro to Statement Analysis

This last is written by retired Deputy United States Marshal, Mark McClish who has his own website at StatementAnalysis.com

Detecting lying is not technically a fully perceptual skill because there is background knowledge and inference involved, but it is knowledge applied to what is observed directly and can be partly automatized.

This post is prompted by the Weiner scandal. Online flirting is not a bad thing. Online flirting while married is not a good thing, but not so much anyone's business. Bald-faced lying is a bad thing. Anyway, I'm not so much interested in Weiner here as the idea of being able to see lying. (Prompted by this Althouse thread)

This ABC News video is an interview with Weiner while he was in full denial mode. Can you tell he's lying?