Objectivism Online Forum

"The Constitution of Ayn Rand"

Rate this topic

Marc K.

Have you heard what our Acting Solicitor General Neal K. Katyal has been arguing before the Federal Courts with respect to Obamacare?

In June, when confronted by one of the judges on the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals with the proposition that individuals have no way of escaping the mandate to buy health insurance, Katyal responded that (paraphrasing) “Americans could avoid the mandate by choosing to earn less money.”

Wow, now that’s what I call a rhetorical flourish! I guess it is his prescription for progress; his advice to people who want to advance themselves and be productive. It reminds me of Wesley Mouch's line from “Atlas Shrugged”: “We've got to stand still. We've got to make those bastards stand still!"

Story here

Also in June, Katyal told a three-judge panel of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals that provisions of Obamacare “may violate the constitution of Ayn Rand, but they do not violate the Constitution of the United States.” I don’t know how common it is for the Solicitor General of the United States to engage in ad hominem attacks of this kind but I find it small minded, defensive, weak and desperate.

Here is an excellent blog post regarding this last by Tom Bowden at “Voices for Reason”

The left has identified their enemy and it is Ayn Rand, it is Objectivism, it is you and I (and whether they realize it or not, it is the founding fathers). I take this as a good sign and further evidence of their hatred of Ayn Rand and the widening of her appeal.

It is a good sign because as Ayn Rand wrote: “When opposite basic principles are clearly and openly defined, it works to the advantage of the rational side . . .” I think there are enough people out there who know or suspect or feel that Obamacare is deadly and wrong. Having been identified as Obamacare's true ideological opponent gives Ayn Rand and Objectivism larger purchase in those people's minds.