Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2011

Rate this topic

The Pittsburgh Steelers will win the Super Bowl.

Of course they will.

If there is one... :P

.. if you don't agree, shame shame!

Nah. If you don't agree, you're probably a Cowboys' fan.

Oh, wait... ;)

Edited by D'kian

• 2 months later...

The Lions have been exciting, and I'm not surprised to see them near the top of their conference. Their defensive line is terrifying and I really like Stafford. I have a fantasy involving the Lions, it goes like this:

They stay undefeated until Thanksgiving (when they lose), only to go on another winning streak until New Year's Day (when they lose again). That'll let them keep up hopes of winning their division, despite the undefeated Packers. The Lions will slay two opponents in the playoffs to be rewarded with a second trip to Lambeau in the winter (when they will lose for a third and final time). Despite not making it to the Superbowl, they will be regarded as the second best team in the league this season, having lost only to the Superbowl champions.

Edited by FeatherFall

Yeah I was thinking playing at Lambeau twice will be tough (last game and first of playoffs) but I think they'll jump that hurdle this year. And there's no way they are losing at home on Thanksgiving this year. No way.

I can't believe the Lions this year :blink: .

It's a huuuuge change of the tides, if you look at their record from 2008 (and even before) compared to 2011 thus far. I'm sure Jim Schwartz has a whole lot to do with it. In the meantime, the Bills are playing very strong. I wonder if there's any connection to be drawn from cities suffering from a poor economy and well-performing NFL teams. Just look at New Orleans Super-Bowl before last.

In other news, the Chiefs are a delightful let-down. Looks like that AFC West crown last year was a fluke. But if the down-economy model is true, I expect a Super Bowl appearance in the next coupla years. Can you guess where my allegiance lies?

D'kian, I have to ask: is NFL very big in Mexico City? Or are you an expat?

I think the major reason for the upswing is that they now have talent all over the field for once instead of just a talented player here and there. Not that I'm not going to credit the coaching for the second half comebacks, but adjustments don't work when the players aren't good enough to adjust. This year they finally are.

I can't believe the Lions this year :blink: .

Thank you. Had I not heard more poeple say this, I'd worry I'd dropped into a parallel universe :)

D'kian, I have to ask: is NFL very big in Mexico City? Or are you an expat?

Between small and medium. It used to be bigger. Two local networks used to run two games each Sunday, plus SNF and MNF. Today they show just one each, plus SNF and MNF. On cable you still get two games each Sunday, and the night games, too. If you get NFL Network (I do) you can watch the odd Thursday night game.

But it's a distant, poor relation to sucker (I mean soccer.... I mean sucker). In the interests of truth, the newspaper ought to rename the sports section "Soccer plus real sports).

Edited by D'kian

Thank you. Had I not heard more poeple say this, I'd worry I'd dropped into a parallel universe :)

Between small and medium. It used to be bigger. Two local networks used to run two games each Sunday, plus SNF and MNF. Today they show just one each, plus SNF and MNF. On cable you still get two games each Sunday, and the night games, too. If you get NFL Network (I do) you can watch the odd Thursday night game.

But it's a distant, poor relation to sucker (I mean soccer.... I mean sucker). In the interests of truth, the newspaper ought to rename the sports section "Soccer plus real sports).

Lulz. I have, for many years, thought that soccer and FIFA was one of the most uninteresting sporting events of TV. I racked this up to being a non-European, but even viewing from an opened mind, I don't understand why people will watch a game that scores an average of 2 points per game, and offers nothing more than mild enjoyment when a player is 'fouled'.

In the meantime, I agree that we've got an incredibly interesting NFL season shaping up.

Lulz. I have, for many years, thought that soccer and FIFA was one of the most uninteresting sporting events of TV. I racked this up to being a non-European, but even viewing from an opened mind, I don't understand why people will watch a game that scores an average of 2 points per game, and offers nothing more than mild enjoyment when a player is 'fouled'.

In the meantime, I agree that we've got an incredibly interesting NFL season shaping up.

I bet you don't get people ganging up on you to get into soccer.

The problem isn't so much the low scoring, but the fact that much of the game consists of people running up and down the field chasing a ball.

Anyway, the paper I read, Reforma, has a tabloid-shaped "sports" section. On a good day, for me, soccer makes up only 60% of it. Football often rates no more than three pages, usually two. tennis never gets more than two, even when major tourneys are on.

As to this year's NFL season, I've found it frustrating. Interesting, yes, but I can't make out trends, besides the fact that the Colts and Lions seem to have traded places.

It's good that your local paper so strongly supports women's sports. :twisted:

In news about men's sports, the loss Sunday to the 49ers has me preliminarily re-assessing my initial enthusiasm for the Lions. I had no illusions about them going 16-0, but the way the Offense was so ....lame gives me pause. Another reasonable test comes on Sunday against the Falcons. If they right the ship, I may have to, once again, belly up to the Lions' kool-aid bar.

• 1 month later...

5 TD passes with a broken finger, the ability to rally from huge deficits, an improved running game, a dominating attacking defense, and a chip on their shoulders from years of futility and present bad press at being labled a "dirty" team. Guess we'll see what happens.

In non-Detroit v Green Bay news, looks like Romo's on the upswing. With a walk in the park schedule remaining, no question they make the playoffs. I predict four more wins this year for the 'Boys: against Tampa Bay, Arizona, Miami, and at least one on either the Giants (who we play twice) or the Eagles.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow... I am biased on this, but the Lions just made one of the greatest last minute comebacks to win that I have ever seen! Whoo.

Agreed. I was off the wagon for a bit there, but I am pretty firmly back on it now. I see the Lions in playoffs as being all-but assured. BTW, Green Bay's loss will not hurt that assessment in the least, as they will no longer be going for perfection (and WTF! - a loss to the freaking CHIEFS!!!!!).

Unfortunately, I also see a quick exit from them being pretty likely as well.

Unfortunately, I also see a quick exit from them being pretty likely as well.

Agreement from me here too. Which kind of makes all this a little pointless if it's not really probable they can play for a Super Bowl win.

Agreement from me here too. Which kind of makes all this a little pointless if it's not really probable they can play for a Super Bowl win.

Not really. They will, at the very least, shed the stink from that 0-16 season, and become a potential destination for the odd free agent who may just put them "over the top" to get into the Super Bowl conversation. Besides, with Stafford and C. Johnson, they have at least a "puncher's chance". If they had any running game at all, I'd give them more than that.

• 4 weeks later...