Objectivism Online Forum

Hello from a creator of a TipJar

Rate this topic

Hello,

My name is Boris, and Rarden is my fake last-name that I decided to use on the internet.

The website www.online-tipjar.com is my startup idea - it is a donation service that allows you to show support for good things that people do. Examples are free software, support forums, free podcasts, etc. I have created a tipjar also for this forum:

http://www.online-tipjar.com/tipjar/objectivism-online

The advantage of using my service is that using one account you can tip many different projects, and each tip can be as small as a penny. I also support Bitcoin, which I believe is equivalent to the gold standard.

My background:

By training I'm a software developer. I am an amateur sax player, and like jazz. In classical music I like Rachmaninov, and agree with Ayn Rand's estimation of his music. I have read Atlas Shrugged and "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal". I have questions, mostly related to the implementation. Many of these questions are being discussed on this forum, and I'm very to happy to become one of its members.

I have read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, and don't agree with Ayn Rand's criticism. For example, in War and Peace there is a similar situation as was with Hank, Galt and Dagny, when Rostov finally picks his love. Tolstoy's idea that one man can't make a difference is not related to philosophy and science, it is related to a leader of people. He says that whatever philosophy people have -- thats the kind of leader they would choose, if majority rule is in effect.

I'm also not clear on the issue of democracy and majority rule. What would be the process of "hiring" goverenment officials into the government, under perfect captilism ?

Happy to join your community,

Boris Rarden

And of altruism, what do you think and what do you think of Rand on altruism (a la "support" and "donation")?

I have been a long distance and touring bicyclist. I disparage commercial bicycle tours and rides that sell themselves as "charity rides".

And of altruism, what do you think and what do you think of Rand on altruism (a la "support" and "donation")?

That is not necessarily altruism. Altruism consists of sacrificing one's values. When I donate to, say, the Ayn Rand Institute, I am not sacrificing my values, I am supporting them.

I have been a long distance and touring bicyclist. I disparage commercial bicycle tours and rides that sell themselves as "charity rides".

Do you ever actually consider the issue being supported and whether you would like to see it supported? Or do you just object to anything labeled charity?

Edited by Dante

• 10 months later...