Objectivism Online Forum

One thing to change about America

Rate this topic

FlashFour

Ok, so you have the magical power to change exactly one thing about the American government as it is right now. Everything else stays the same, unless your change directly affects something else and forces it to change. What do you change?

P.S. no sweeping generalizations like "Make America an Objectivist state" or "make all politicians rational"

change exactly one thing about the American government

Ok, I'll bite, just for fun...

I would add a clause to the constitution that makes it clear that the government may not own. help, aid, regulate or hinder any business or commercial activity except to the extent required for the national defence and physical security, with all other forms of common good being specifically excluded.

I would like annual third-party testing in the public schools. Students' thinking skills would be tested against objective criteria, and the teachers' salaries would be tied to the students' success.

Emphasis on thinking skills, not memorization of facts.

I would like public schools to be closed immediately. Let the market determine what form these tests take.

I think the more interesting question to ask is what one change would have the greatest benefit. In that case, the answer is simple – it would be that American intellectuals had never heard of Kant, and instead held reason and egoism to be as “obvious” as the Founders did.