Objectivism Online Forum

Hi hi hi hi!

Rate this topic

Speaking of books, I hope you are writing a book. I would very much like to read A Life in Physics, by Stephen Speicher.

I am suggesting this in public, rather than in a private email, because I believe my suggestion applies to everyone who has lived a successful life. That means, in part, immersion in a field of study and action as one's central purpose in life.

I have watched you give sound advice to young Objectivists in this forum. You seamlessly combine personal advice, technical advice, and philosophical observations.

A full volume of such advice and other observations about the field would be entertaining to all passionate pursuers of professional values, not only to physicists.

Thank you for the very kind words, Burgess. Yes, I am writing a book and for this first one I have chosen the subject of Einstein and his theory of relativity. I believe I have an approach which will make this highly technical and historically rich subject of interest to laymen and experts alike. I have ideas for other books too, but first I'll see how this one goes.

Thank you for the very kind words, Burgess. Yes, I am writing a book and for this first one I have chosen the subject of Einstein and his theory of relativity. I believe I have anĀ  approach which will make this highly technical and historically rich subject of interest to laymen and experts alike. I have ideas for other books too, but first I'll see how this one goes.

Wonderful! I would be interested in buying a copy of your book. How is it coming?

I cite Randall's The School of Padua and the Emergence of Modern Science, 1961, and his The Career of Philosophy (Vol. I), 1962, but not the journal article. I vaguely remember that at least one of the books drew in part on the research Randall did for the much earlier journal article.

The Aristotle Adventure is not a history of science, philosophy of science, or philosophy. It is an accounting of how Aristotle's books got from his time to the Renaissance, Galileo in particular. It covers 2000 years of history in 200 pages, and it is thus an introduction ("Guide") to the individuals involved in the Greek, Latin, and Arabic streams. Its intended audience is very young intellectuals and general readers interested in intellectual history. Others may benefit.

My main interest is the social side of intellectual history: What intellectuals did about their beliefs. One thing they did was act to preserve and disseminate the books they valued.

I am getting The Aristotle Adventure for Christmas this year (from my wife). I look forward to reading it!

Wonderful! I would be interested in buying a copy of your book.

That depends on how long you have to live. :dough:

How is it coming?

It is coming along well, thank you, but it is a long process. I want to get everything exactly right, and that requires a lot of research and thought. Thanks for your interest, and when it is done I will be sure to let everyone know.