Objectivism Online Forum

Editing for novel

Rate this topic

Dreamspirit

I am writing a coming of age novel with it's underlying themes mostly being social corruption, perfectionism, individualism, and teenage angst. It's similar to the Catcher in the Rye I've been told (although I haven't read it so I don't know if this is false flattery). I think the storyline has some potential in it and I've gotten about 25 pages into the first act. I think it will probably end up being around 250-300 pages. I think the storyline and characterization is good, but I'm a little worried about consistency and flow. I want to make it more appealing and compelling to read for a young audience but I want some feedback on what I've written so far so that if I'm making major mistakes that will undercut the important parts, I don't ruin it and get frustrated. What kind of person could I ask that would give me serious advice and critical feedback as I go along?

Edited by Dreamspirit

You could always post it in the forum's "Productivity" section and see who responds. Of course, mothers of friends are good, as well as friends. Professors, bosses, other aspiring novelists (there must be other forums on the net dedicated to just that group of people). It depends on your own personal contacts.

You could always post it in the forum's "Productivity" section and see who responds. Of course, mothers of friends are good, as well as friends. Professors, bosses, other aspiring novelists (there must be other forums on the net dedicated to just that group of people). It depends on your own personal contacts.

I would never post a skeleton for a novel on the internet that I was wishing to eventually publish, because it is available to everyone, and someone could steal my ideas. I wish I could get feedback from multiple opinions from behind a computer screen, but I couldn't do that without seriously jeopardizing my privacy and ideas. I was thinking more in terms of real life people in the community, that I could perhaps pay a fee to help me with editing if it gets to that point. The reason I ask is because I am worried that most people (esp educated people) would not evaluate my writing in terms of esthetic quality.

Edited by Dreamspirit