Objectivism Online Forum

Wanting Critique For A Rand Defense

Rate this topic

Greetings. I recentlt started a thread in another forum asking, "What's with all the Rand hate?" I wanted to get an idea about what the issue was and maybe respond. I got some responses and I have been trying to adequately defend Rand and her ideas. I felt it would be an excellent exercise and I hoped maybe I could make someone see what I saw.

In any case, I was wondering, of anyone has the time, if you could simply give me some idea of how I've done. I'm not convincing anyone, certainly, but I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on how I've responded.http://fstdt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rp&action=display&thread=9946

Edited by Adeimantu

<p> </p>

<p>What is that place about? What does FSTDT an acronym of?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I read the thread. The Hickman thing has several people there in a tizzy. You need to stop attempting to persuade people and post the full exact word-for-word journal entry written by Rand about Hickman. Only then can you point out that she wasn't even focused on Hickman, but the crowd and its reaction the dramatic possibilities she is looking for. You did point out that she was only 23, but left unstated the tremendous intellectual distance she travelled between then and the mature Ayn Rand that explicitly rejected Neitchze. She actually retroactively edited <em>We the Living</em> to remove Neitchzean elements. In permitting this to be published David Harriman screwed up big time, and Peikoff is to blame too. That fucker Prescott has done some real damage in smearing Rand's reputation with that private journal entry which never should have been published. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>But I don't know why you even try. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>A <a href="http://fstdt.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&amp;board=rp&amp;thread=9946&amp;post=340310"><u>moderator</u> posts</a>:</p>

<div>

I'm gonna be direct and to the point as to why I loathe the woman.<br />

<br />

I'm not a self-centered asshole and she was a hypocritical cunt.

</div>

<div> </div>

<div>When a moderator writes like that it sets the tone of the &quot;discussion&quot;, don't you think? It is open season on you, no one needs to be logical, reasonable or even polite.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>From the same page:</div>

<div>

<div>

Aww how cute...the newbie thinks we debate things. NOt really there bub. Oh it stays that way for a few posts but then usually devolves into something else.<br />

<br />

Ironbite-what can I say...we get bored easily.

</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Poor selection of your battlefield.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Also, as a newbie to that board they have no idea who you are or how you think. Naturally they will think the worst. You need to establish a reputation for common sense on a variety of ordinary issues before trying to enter into so abstract a discussion. That would also give you an opportunity to learn whether a real discussion is even possible.</div>

<div> </div>

<div> </div>

</div>

I appreciate your observations, Serial Thinker. FSTDT stands for "Fundies Say the Darndest Things"- it's supposed to be a site that collects absurd statements from "fundamentalists," mainly of the religious and political sort, as well as racists, basically for the fun of mocking them and marvelling at their stupidity. I had had the idea that maybe, being a site whose purported claim is to mock absurdity and nonsense, that it might be interesting to see what their responses would be- particularly after my perusal of their comments, both on the mainpage and in th forum, began to incline me to feel that many of them aren't any more rational than the "fundies" they condemn. I've certainly learned a lot from observing the way they've responded.

Do you know where I could find the full journal entry? I found another forum that had some more of it, but I'd like to see the whole thing, since I may try to make one last response.