Objectivism Online Forum

Anybody ever joined Phi Theta Kappa?

Rate this topic

I've been invited to join Phi Theta Kappa, but it looks like it will be one of those things where they badger you for money and time for some worthless community projects, even though you don't technically have to do it.  It might be worth it, because I may decide to transfer and get a bachelors degree at one point and if that could help me get a scholarship, it would be like getting paid to do the community service.  I do have weak points in terms of math and science, so if they have tutoring that would also be good (the free tutors the college offers are worthless and sometimes give wrong answers).  I just absolutely can't stand being pursuaded to give a dollar here and a dollar there to poor people as I am already a poor person and it enfuriates me, 1 because it's an almost pointless charity and 2 they're asking me to stretch time I should devote to learning and socializing at one of the high points in my life for people that aren't that helpless when I am already bordering on unfortunate.  I know it's one of those things that you just have to ignore, but I'm just the type of person who can't stand being unjustly harrased for something I shouldn't give and it would be a huge bother to me.  So I was wondering if anyone on here had ever joined that organization before (other students at my college think CS is something they should do, so I'm afraid to ask them).

Don't you wish there were more groups at colleges whose interest was promoting specific kinds of intellectual development (ie. young writers club) than this "leadership" nonsense? To me groups like these remind me of the Hitler Youth or something, nobody is an individual with a personality, you're just part of this big "leadership collective."

Edited by Dreamspirit