Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

Wotan

If there's any morality, justice, or even rudimentary decency in the cosmos, and the biota of The Milky Way, then the consciousness, spirit, and soul of Steve Jobs lives on. Any alien of any "humanity" and quality would rescue and save his living, thinking essence. As for any super-terrestrials which could do it, but didn't do it -- to hell with them, and the galactic horses they rode in on!

Yes, that is very touching, but that is not how reality works. Here is what justice is , according to Objectivism :

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/justice.html

Nothing to do with aliens or anyone else fulfilling your personal wishes or what you think Steven Job deserves. Nothing involving what happens after death, but only how people be treated while they are alive.

Sucks huh?

I'm going to take a moment to remind everyone involved here that:

1) I can understand your strong feelings for the greatness of Steve Jobs Wotan, but this is not a forum where discussion about the potential for aliens dispensing post-mortem intergalactic justice is appropriate. This is an Objectivist forum.

2) To those responding to Wotan's post, lets end it here. Snarkiness and thinly veiled ad hominem are also out of place here.

Edited by SapereAude

Not that it matters, but I found Wotan's metaphorical flourishes quite fun, and a good tribute to Jobs.

I have no problems with "soul" (nor did Rand) and I've been an atheist since..ah, you don't want to know.

Let's not be so literal, guys.

Not that it matters, but I found Wotan's metaphorical flourishes quite fun, and a good tribute to Jobs.

I have no problems with "soul" (nor did Rand) and I've been an atheist since..ah, you don't want to know.

Let's not be so literal, guys.

Hey, I use the word "soul" now and again. In a similar fashion to how Ayn Rand sometimes did. I have no issue with that word used in such a way. Though I do not think that was what he meant. It was generally not clear what he meant or if he was being serious or was not expecting us to take him very literally.

Though it was certainly a pretty fun tribute, I will give you that. :D

Q: What do you think will happen when you die?

A: "I assume I'll be buried. I don't believe in mysticism or life after death. This doesn't mean I believe man's mind is necessarily materialistic; but neither is it mystical. We know that we have a mind and a body, and that neither can exist without the other. Therefore, when I die, that will be the end of me. I don't think it will be the end of my philosophy."

Just replace 'philosophy' with ingenuity, creativity, industriousness, whatever, and I think you've got what the death of Steve Jobs means. None of this Wotan gobbledygook.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...