Objectivism Online Forum

Modern Architects

Rate this topic

The cost of building a house is based on the total squarefootage of the house, which varies from region to region. In the NE it's about $150-$200 per sq.ft.. Other areas in the South may be less. You can speak to a local builder for cost per sq.ft, but sq.ft alone won't tell the whole story since the quality of design and type of construction are left out. Add in about 30% above that for your plumbing/lighting fixtures and special interior finishes.

You can check latest edition of "RS Means: Building Contruction Cost Data" if you want a professional break down.

As for different styles, I'm not sure what you mean by Modern AND different styles. But you can check out " A field Guide to American Houses" by Virginia & Lee McAlester.

If you have a specific kind of house in mind I can direct you to a more relevant source-book.

Kien

They type of house I am looking to build is a  3 bedroom 2 bath home modern style made with poured concrete and the exterior of the living, dining and 2 bedrooms (one the master) made from glass and steel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, the McAlester book would be of limited help here since it included under Modern Houses the Craftsman style as well as Modernistic style, neither of which for me is the same as Modern Architecture.

Poured concrete is a noble material and can be used heroically depending on the architect.

Poured concrete is more often used in institutional buildings than residences because of the costs involved with form works and mixing equipment needed. But nothing should stop you from using it for the whole house since many high end residences today commonly have poured concrete for the foundations walls as a matter of course.

Le Corbusier’s Ronchamp, L.I.Kahn’s Salk Institute and Tadeo Ando’s Mt. Rokko Church are some quick institutional examples identified with poured concrete.

Institutional works are often served as inspirations for residences.

Mario Botta, who worked as a student for both Le Corbusier and L.I.Kahn, used concrete blocks in this single family house, but you can imagine it with poured concrete as well. In another house, Botta seemed to celebrate the nature of poured concrete by emphasizing the pouring phases with a band of another material as an integrated decoration. He learned this from Kahn his great teacher.

Luis Barragan’s works including his own house are especially moving emotionally. He was one the few that raised architecture into the realm of the spiritual. He was very influenced by Le Corbusier’s later works use of concrete to create Light .

Unlike others, whose works tend to express a Tragic view of architecture, Wright managed to use concrete in a Heroic way even in his Unity Temple, but nowhere more so than in Fallingwater.

Kien

There are many magnificent concrete strucutres that have been built for both private homes and commercial use. Just a few favorites of mine (there are many more) are Silvertop and Marbrisa, two homes designed by John Lautner, and the TWA Terminal at Kennedy Airport, designed by Eero Saarinen.