Objectivism Online Forum

Unisex and Gender Specific Fragrances

Rate this topic

intellectualammo

What are your thoughts on unisex fragrances? Would you or have you worn them?

Would you ONLY wear fragrances specifically made for your gender?

I'm definately not only into me NOT wearing unisex fragrances, but others as well. And men wearing women's perfume, and women wearing men's cologne, too. I'm ONLY into gender specific fragances.

There is no such thing as a fragrance having a gender. Nor is there such a thing as a gender having a fragrance. All gender fragrance preferences are conventional. They change with time. A manly fragrance 200 years ago may be a feminine fragrance now. Forget these conventions and wear what you like!

Worth noting though that there are typically differences between masculine and feminine between fragrances, just like with clothing. In some cultures men wear skirts, but they are different from womens clothing. Since sexuality is much about celebrating gender differences, such differentiation can serve an important role. However, that does not make a certain scent, color or garment inherently masculine or feminine. Context is everything. As with fragrances, differences in skin can entierly change the scent. And the fact of who's wearing it can change how it's percieved.