Objectivism Online Forum

Challenging the "Cult" Accusations

Rate this topic

It could be two separate rectal database extractions.
I protest. Ancient scripture is often wrong, but I think we owe ancient folk more respect than this. It is not right to admire just (say) the post-Homeric Greeks and the Romans. Far before them, man has been struggling to make sense of the world around him. Whether it is ancient Nordic folk-tales or a wise "Confucius say", or the pantheism of the older Greeks and Indians, all point to man the thinker, trying to look for explanations and causation, until he arrived at reason as we know it today.

I think it is fair to hold more modern people in disdain when there are actually exposed to the various thoughts and ideas and yet choose the irrational. Also, if they choose not to pursue avenues of thought that seem promising, preferring to stay with their own form of conservatism. However, the ancients did not have the same opportunities we do, and -- even while disagreeing with them -- there is a sense in which we stand on their shoulders, because someone else came along and learnt from their mistakes.

I would answer this question, but first I must burn a calf in Ayn Rand's honor, and then repeat it for my Peikoff altar, They Who Have Done No Wrong, Amen.

Objectivism isn't officially a cult, but as you can see from some of the first answers, and the trouble some of those people have answering your simple questions, clearly it is to some extent for some people. Some people want an Icon to follow apparently, and can't think for themselves.

When Peikoff fired that guy from the ARC (for individual rights) there were many who were like "Peikoff can do no wrong. Worship him!" Those people are your cultists. Some people who were a bit more honest, like me, said things like "Peikoff is handling this poorly, and from what I can tell, (early in the situation) literally used his position to silence a critic of his protégé's book. What a scumbag!" (of course, as it turned out, although I don't remember the particulars, the situation was something less disgusting.)

I'm almost sure this post will be deleted by the moderator. If you are one of them, I shall at least give this post a slight purpose: Hi? How are you? Have a good New Year's Eve? I'm sorry, you're right, I should have said Mrs. Rand not her full name, I didn't know her personally. Have a good New Year Mr. Moderator.

Objectivism isn't officially a cult, but as you can see from some of the first answers, and the trouble some of those people have answering your simple questions, clearly it is to some extent for some people. Some people want an Icon to follow apparently, and can't think for themselves.

I'm curious. To what do you object in the previous answers?