Objectivism Online Forum

The Great List of Liberal "Truths"

Rate this topic

Therapy is useful.

However, it is merely a tool.

It has taken me a long time to work through a lot of my issues. Sometimes I slip, as I have here.

The truth is, none of us knows the future. It worth pursuing what you value at any age. We only have one life.

I too, am being way too hard on myself as your young friend is. However, I have also seen that people even if they achieve what they value can still be hard on themselves and even be unhappy.

As for being realistic, that's a double edged sword.

On one hand, people can accomplish amazing things which others think they cannot do, in spite of their circumstances and perceived ability (or lack there of). Happens all the time.

On the other hand those amazing things may not be possible, which also happens all the time.

All we can do is strive to develop ourselves as best as we possibly can, take risks, and learn from our success and failure.

Therapy is useful.

However, it is merely a tool.

It has taken me a long time to work through a lot of my issues. Sometimes I slip, as I have here.

The truth is, none of us knows the future. It worth pursuing what you value at any age. We only have one life.

I too, am being way too hard on myself as your young friend is. However, I have also seen that people even if they achieve what they value can still be hard on themselves and even be unhappy.

As for being realistic, that's a double edged sword.

On one hand, people can accomplish amazing things which others think they cannot do, in spite of their circumstances and perceived ability (or lack there of). Happens all the time.

On the other hand those amazing things may not be possible, which also happens all the time.

All we can do is strive to develop ourselves as best as we possibly can, take risks, and learn from our success and failure.

I fully agree with the content of this post. When one switches focus from what others want or expect from one,

or the attempt to impress them - that the really great and original things can occur.

No guarantees, but whatever arrives will be self -motivated and -generated, and character fulfilling.

(Something more practical, music is a most demanding and difficult profession, and I've seen the guys

who survived and grew were also those who found an interesting career in totally different fields. Without contradiction,

this 'bought' them time to practise, play - not just any dumb gig thrown at them - and to write. You seem like a thoughtful and articulate guy, and who knows what other passions/talents you might find? all I'm suggesting is, don't limit yourself.)

• 2 weeks later...