Objectivism Online Forum

Ethics of Returning a Shopping Cart

Rate this topic

thenelli01

Juding people based on their "shopping cart ethics" is ridiculous.

My first high school job was as a cart girl, and I never got angry with customers who left their carts by their cars, or in empty parking slots.

As long as I was making $7.25 an hour, I didn't care.

I don't get angry or care either. But I do have an opinion about it. I tend to have an opinion about pretty much everything. Why is that ridiculous?

I don't get angry or care either. But I do have an opinion about it. I tend to have an opinion about pretty much everything. Why is that ridiculous?

The reason I find it ridiculous is because your evaluation doesn't match the "offense." That whole thing about the punishment matching the crime...

^Exactly. Calling people 'assholes' and 'douche bags' over something as unimportant as putting a shopping cart back in its holder doesn't make any sense.

I meant that they are being assholes. They could still be nice to their friends and children, but in that situation they're assholes.

Edited by Nicky

ALDI makes you put in a quarter to get your cart. You can get it back at the end of your shopping experience. Good system.

Slightly off topic, but do they also do a better job of maintaining their carts? I just love it when I get one with a flat spot on a wheel (wham wham wham wham wham as I go down the aisle) or a cart with such a strong steer to one side that pushing only on the opposite corner still won't get it to go straight and I have to push on one side and pull on the other. At least in theory, at a place that doesn't make me put in a quarter, I can bring the cart back and get another one when this stuff happens.

I imagine at some airports, people make a fair amount of cash returning carts left behind by others in too big a rush.

I've seen that at ALDI. Sometimes I see mom's letting their kids earn a little money by fetching carts. I suppose that at some point in the not-too-distant future, ALDI will be punished by the government for abusing children and child-labor laws?

J