Objectivism Online Forum

Help choosing wine

Rate this topic

Durandal

I'd like to buy a nice bottle of wine for someone for christmas. However, I don't know a damn thing about wine, so I'd really appreciate if one of you could give me a pointer or two :lol:

I'd like some suggestions for a good red wine, preferably no more than $40, and typically available at an average spirits shop. I'm really utterly clueless, so I can't specify any further parameters.

thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction

I'd like some suggestions for a good red wine, preferably no more than $40, and typically available at an average spirits shop.  I'm really utterly clueless, so I can't specify any further parameters.

Wow, this is a broad area. I could offer general suggestions, but I can't help but want to probe for more information, even though you say you are clueless.

Does your friend generally like softer "fruit-forward" flavors (like Cabernet, Pinot Noir et al.), or drier, spicy wines (such as Zinfandel, Barbera et al.)? Will your friend drink it with any particular meal, or are you willing to let that be determined by the wine? In which state are you? I ask this latter because it will help me know which labels you will have in your "average spirits shop."

One last thing... would you consider a sparkling Rose' or strictly non-sparkling reds?

Thanks for bringing up a favorite topic!

:lol:

d_s

I'd like to buy a nice bottle of wine for someone for christmas.  However, I don't know a damn thing about wine, so I'd really appreciate if one of you could give me a pointer or two  :)

I'd like some suggestions for a good red wine, preferably no more than $40, and typically available at an average spirits shop.  I'm really utterly clueless, so I can't specify any further parameters.

thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction

I'm sorry to be negative, but think for a moment, what are you going to give as a present? Your ignorance about wine! Do you think this is an apropriate present?

OK on a less harsher side. Would you give the same perfume to your mother, wife and mistress? No of course, it all depends on the temperament. Try to figure out what the person would like, spicy taste, sweet, fruity... . Try to compare with other stuff, things he/she smokes, eats, his/her favorite taste of chocolate, is he/she a sparkling personality... THEN ask an expert or go to a store where they can help you choose the right wine.

BTW champagne has strange effects on women :D:D

Ahh wine-an amazing drink. Though I prefer white wine-red wine goes very well with some foods. What you have to determine is:

1.) Do you (or the person you are buying it for) prefer dry wine or a less dry, more sweet wine?

2.) What is the purpose of the wine? Dinner? Dessert? Just casual discussion wine? Each of these will change which wine you want.

Merlot is a pretty popular wine that, in some varities, runs at a great price. It is more of a soft wine than other types of wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon. A lot of people who drink wine in general, and are not 'high connoisseurs', enjoy Merlot. Search around where you live for the Vineyard and ask somebody at the store what has a good taste. The town that I live in has a vineyard called "Llano Estacado" that is pretty good (the Whitehouse drinks it).

Anyway-hope that gets you started :(.