Objectivism Online Forum

Justice for rape victim

Rate this topic

soulofthesky

I am seeking advice. Someone close to me was raped as a teenager first by one

male and later by another male she knew and a stranger. These crimes have

caused her untold mental trauma for two decades. She never reported them out of fear

and tried counseling for two months but stopped before getting into the details

of what happened. She is slowly starting to deal with this but in doing so she is

facing things she has tried to bury.

I have come to believe that in order for her to begin to heal or at least get

to a point where these events do not debilitate everyday life, the perpetrators

need to be held accountable. The fact that they have so far gotten away with it

weighs heavily. Our state has no sol for rape and it would be near impossible to

to prove without a confession.

I am not planning to act criminally nor am I looking for a way to do so. I know two

of the perps and have extensive information about them. What course of action can I

morally, ethically, and legally take to produce some reckoning , or justice,

in this situation, and learn who the third person is? Should I. Not do anything and just

focus on the victim?

Thank you for reading.

There are two issues, it seems. One is her own well-being and dealing with what happened in a manner so that it does not negatively impact her life, further. The second is a matter of justice for the crimes committed against your friend.

I would highly recommend contacting Dr. Michael J. Hurd, a psychologist and fan of Objectivism, and asking his advice on both matters - I don't know (it's doubtful) that he could give you any legal advice, but perhaps he could help you to understand the significance to your friend's well-being of pursuing legal justice after so many years.

You can read many of Dr. Hurd's "Daily Dose of Reason" articles which are archived on his site and even read his books to gain some insight into his orientation and approach. He does hold sessions with clients over the phone and even by email, I believe. My bet is that he would have some very good practical advice to offer.

Best wishes to you and your friend.

Edited by Trebor

I am not planning to act criminally nor am I looking for a way to do so. I know two

of the perps and have extensive information about them. What course of action can I

morally, ethically, and legally take

If you’re not a vigilante and don’t think that going through the legal system will get any results, it sounds to me like you’ve exhausted the options. I don’t have any advice, but, this made me think of a movie scene to share: