Objectivism Online Forum

Football and a dental studies

Rate this topic

Give me your opinions should I begin a new hobby, football. (Not soccer)

I'm 23 years old and this is my first year as a dentistry student. By the way it has been great so far!

I have been to one football training and it was very nice. I like the sport very much but I fear I might get serious injuries, particularly to my hands which will be vital in my career. I don't know how often serious injuries do happen, but it is possible. The coach said they are very rare, but it really didn't convince me.

Please share your thoughts! I would like hear what you have to say. My own thoughts are that I'm not going to join the team but it will be a shame because it would give me much pleasure.

Thanks,

Dem0

The most common injuries are knee injuries and concussions. Knee injuries should not be a problem for a dentist, and concussions can easily be prevented by not playing like an idiot who runs into people head first.

So other than people who are not taking the appropriate precautions or wearing the appropriate gear, football is just as safe as any other sport.

P.S. Driving is more dangerous than football. If you're worried about risk, offset it by driving less and taking the train more. That way you can be safer, and play football at the same time. That's a pretty good deal.

Edited by Nicky

The most common injuries are knee injuries and concussions. Knee injuries should not be a problem for a dentist, and concussions can easily be prevented by not playing like an idiot who runs into people head first.

So other than people who are not taking the appropriate precautions or wearing the appropriate gear, football is just as safe as any other sport.

P.S. Driving is more dangerous than football. If you're worried about risk, offset it by driving less and taking the train more. That way you can be safer, and play football at the same time. That's a pretty good deal.

Hmm, I reconsider joining the team. Thank you.

Haha, luckily I don't own a car at the moment so the risks are minimal :D

• 3 weeks later...