Objectivism Online Forum

Mass Effect Series

Rate this topic

Dormin111

Does anyone have any feelings on the Mass Effect series? I believe they are fantastic games and there are plenty of philosophical issues to discuss but I am afraid that there is too much context involved to inform anyone who has not alredy played the games. So I will state a few of the interesting issues in the series as I would love to hear some opinions on them if anyone is so inclined:

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Was the genophage a morally permissible response to the Krogan?

Yes. The Krogan are an entire civilization of brutish thugs who threatened to exterminate the civilized Turians and Salarians. In time I believe it might be permissible to cure the genophage if the Krogans could civilize.

2. Should all alien races in possesion of free will be treated as moral equals?

I am unsure. The humans, Salarians, Turians, Asari, Volus, Hanar, Elcor, Drell, Geth, and Quarians all appear to be intelligent and civilized. However, to varying degrees, the Rachni, Krogan, Vorcha, Reapers, and Batarians have acted at best like savages and at worst like sub-beings.

3. Should the Geth be treated as concious beings? Should Shepard have re-written their genetic code or destroyed the Geth Heretics?

Yes, the geth demonstrate free will though it is unclear at what level their conciousness exists (are they one will and the individuals are the equivilent of cells?). I do believe the brain washing was morally proper because the heretics were essentially brain damaged.

4. What do you think of Cerberus?

They are the equivilient to modern day racial nationalists.

5. What do you think of the Illusive Man?

I believe his goals are actually rather admirable. His speech in the finale of Mass Effect 3 (whether real or imagined) was actually somewhat inspiring in that he wanted to give humanity another technological gain akin to the mass effect relays by enslaving the reapers.

6. What do you think of the portrayal of Illium as a capatalistic paradise?

Rife with the usual anti-capitalist straw men.

7. Which character most exemplifies Objecitivsm (not including your Shepard)?

Mordin Solus. Brilliant scientist, loves life, always works towards what he believes in.

Thats all I can think of for now.