Objectivism Online Forum

Capitalism board games

Rate this topic

While I haven't played any of the games, I would also be interested in hearing some reviews. A couple of other games that seem to have capitalist elements are Settlers of Catan and Acquire. Again, I haven't played either of these. Everyone I've spoken with who has played Settlers of Catan has said good things.

Settlers of Catan is a fun game. It maintains the game element with dice rolls determining commodity distribution (along with those commodities being assigned to numbers randomly at the beginning of the game) while the placement of settlements, roads, purchasing development cards, all play into the strategy of using the current set up and calculating the odds of two dice hitting your gaining commodities. It is easy to learn too so it is a good game for kids but the strategy will keep serious gamers involved.

It’s a lot of fun and with a group of four people we can get several games in during a weekday evening.

Catan is great not only for strategic reasons but "philosophy" reasons. Unlike many strategy games, your goal is not to destroy your opponent, but basically be more successful than him, through trade and good planning. There are a few random chance events, but for the most part it's very rational.

While I think Robert Kiyosaki's advice is often not that good - I do think his "Cashfow 101" game is actually a good game for teaching finance and at least something about Capitalism. You circle the board, trying to buy properties that are profitable while avoiding bad decisions like going into massive debt for a boat, attempting to reach your ultimate goal not OF, but BY becoming rich. (Your ultimate goal is something you pick at the game start that can only be achieved by having a boatload of money)