Objectivism Online Forum

A microalgae lamp that absorbs CO2

Rate this topic

CptnChan

Whether man-made global warming is real, or even a threat to human life or not, I thought this video was pretty cool, since it demonstrates to those concerned about global warming that there are measure one can take to solve the "problem" that don't require shutting off all the lights and living in tents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=wuWDex5mh5Y

I agree that even if there was problem with CO2 the solution should be more technology.

This technology makes no sense on many levels.

In an underground parking garage, artificial light has to be supplied to the algae.

Outdoors, they are too dim and the water can freeze.

In both situations, algae require other nutrients besides carbon dioxide. Can it possibly be more convenient and less costly to feed these algae than hooking a lamp to a power line?

Substances harmful to the algae will enter the tanks along with the carbon dioxide (sulfur for example) and will build up in the long term. So these things must have a limited life span, and how does that compare with various lighting technologies?

I agree that even if there was problem with CO2 the solution should be more technology.

This technology makes no sense on many levels.

You make very thought provoking points. Although I don't know the answers, I think your question illustrate why this is not the most practical way to decrease CO2, but regardless, it's still better that having everyone turn their lights off. My primary reason for posting the video was to in effect say, "If environmentalists want to waste their time, energy, and money pursuing things like this, I don't have a problem with it. So long as they don't use my money, or attempt to force me to take some sort of action that they deem noble."

it's still better that having everyone turn their lights off.

I should clarify, I meant to say it's a better option as far respecting my individual rights to use my own purchased energy as I see fit. Not so sure it's "better" than anything else really.

Edited by CptnChan