Objectivism Online Forum

Health-related android app

Rate this topic

mdegges

Hi guys,

I thought it would be fun to post about a recent project I've been working on. I'm on a team that recently created a health-related android app called HealthyState, which is available for free on google play and the amazon app store. Our goal with this app is to help people gain awareness of common health conditions prevalent in US, in a user-friendly way. I'm posting this on a few sites in hopes of getting some honest reviews, so we can learn how to make the app more engaging and interesting. This was the first time any of us designed and developed an app, so if you're interested, leave some feedback. Thanks! :)

Edited by Michele Degges

...eave some feedback. Thanks! :)
Pretty straight-forward app, with a few sequential pages. Can;t say I would use it, but as far as the user-interface goes...

I'd make these changes on the screen that shows the body:

• instead of "...in the selected state", I'd say "... in Ohio" or "...in California". This gives the user confirmation that they did click the correct state.
  • I'd make clicking the labels work just as if one clicked the body part itself. A user would expect that interaction. Also, it would be easier for small body-parts. For instance, tapping the tiny pancreas isn't going to be easy
  • Pancreas: correct the spelling
  • (In addition, the clicking did not appear sensitive on my Android. Perhaps there are some setting that need to be tweaked a bit)
  • When the little info blurb comes up, the x% for my state does not tell me if this is good or bad. Some relative metric is important. Perhaps the % for the U.S. as a whole, or the state's ranking... somthing along those lines

On the last page, with CDC info. Since a person coming to this page has selected a body part, you should automatically open the relevant branch in the tree that is displayed

Added: Overall, the graphics (both the map and the body) are very rudimentary. People are used to much more slick stuff these days... with tones, shading and an overall 3-D effect.

Edited by softwareNerd

Hey, thanks for all the really good suggestions (we defeinitely have got to implement a feature that lets you know whether the % is high or low for a given disease).

It's hard to get honest feedback from friends/family when it comes to work projects.

Also, this is a very elementary app since we are all new to java/app dev. But I hate the idea of creating an app just to put another one out there, so hopefully with updates this might actually be of some use.