Objectivism Online Forum

"Atlas Shrugged: Part 2" release date set for October 12, will

Rate this topic

Big news on the "Atlas Shrugged: Part 2" movie today.

“Atlas Shrugged: Part 2″ will be released on October 12, with a proper amount of print and broadcast advertising, contrary to the approach used to promote its predecessor, which relied mostly on word-of-mouth and endorsements from conservative commentators.

The production costs on “Atlas Shrugged: Part 2″ were reportedly $5 million less than the first film, perhaps to free up the extra money to market. According to THR, producer Kaslow says they will spend 10 times more money on the P&A for this one.

Lots more info in the

full story at this link.

Edited by darlingcomp

The production costs on “Atlas Shrugged: Part 2″ were reportedly $5 million less than the first film

Not a good sign.

I wish they would have let their filming rights lapse, realizing that a quality film was not possible given all of their circumstances.

The production costs on “Atlas Shrugged: Part 2″ were reportedly $5 million less than the first film, perhaps to free up the extra money to market.

Bear in mind that they reported one figure for the “production costs” of Part 1, then reported a notably higher figure (about double) that included the cost of the rights along with other stuff, presumably to make it look better. If I recall correctly, it first was $10M, then $20M, meaning, if you can follow my logic, it looks like they’re spending $5M more on production this time.

Not a good sign.

I wish they would have let their filming rights lapse, realizing that a quality film was not possible given all of their circumstances.

I believe the rights are already locked in, that was the whole point of making Part 1 when and how they did.

Abomination part 2? no thanks.

Yeah, uh-huh, sure; you’ll be in the theater during the opening weekend and so will I, who do you think you’re kidding?

Hey! ... doesn't mean I won't be complaining about it in the harshest terms I can think of!

Yeah yeah, just bustin’ your chops. My evaluation of part 1 (you can look it up, it’s somewhere on OL from the time of the opening weekend) was that it wasn’t good enough. I didn’t feel I could recommend it to people who weren’t already going to be seeing it anyway. But it wasn’t a complete washout, and I think there’s a reasonable basis to hope that the next one will be notably better. I know I’ll be going to see it.

Yeah yeah, just bustin’ your chops. My evaluation of part 1 (you can look it up, it’s somewhere on OL from the time of the opening weekend) was that it wasn’t good enough. I didn’t feel I could recommend it to people who weren’t already going to be seeing it anyway. But it wasn’t a complete washout, and I think there’s a reasonable basis to hope that the next one will be notably better. I know I’ll be going to see it.

I found the first movie to be extremely awful to the point of being offensive and insulting. They took what I consider to be one of the greatest works of art ever created, if not the greatest, and turned it to some mean little ripped off political piece, and a very poorly done one at that. This kind of book deserves the very best, but this was just a cheap little rip off done with complete disrespect to the book.

They released a teaser poster. OH MY GOD IT SUCKS SO BAD.

Couldn't agree more. What can they have been thinking?

Atlas-Shrugged-Part-2-Teaser-Poster.jpg

At first glance it looks like two skeleton bones upright. At second glance it looks like two pillars from classical architecture (the kind that Roark disliked). I guess it's just a Roman numeral without any symbolism, though. In any case, horrible unimaginable work.

Edited by NikolaiM

I assume it's supposed to be something along the lines of a shining railroad in the midst of a dark and corrupt world. It's still terrible though, especially since even my interpretation doesn't really make sense for the second part where Taggart Transcontinental is no longer any shining beacon. I also hate the Atlas symbol they've chosen.

At first glance it looks like two skeleton bones upright. At second glance it looks like two pillars from classical architecture (the kind that Roark disliked). I guess it's just a Roman numeral without any symbolism, though. In any case, horrible unimaginable work.

Y’all do notice, I assume, that these “skeleton bones” are hovering over the shadow of the letter “s”, thus forming a dollar sign…what’s interesting is that on my Iphone it’s really obvious, on my desktop monitor less so.

I don't think they were trying for a dollar sign. Their unappealing version of Atlas holding the world appears in the background. The sinuous form they chose suggests weakness to me and, when viewed at reduced size, looks a bit like an S.

This isn't better than a 15-year-old girl would do for a Social Studies class project.

When I Googled it, I saw a dollar sign. In this thread, I see Atlas. Either way, it's amateur. No more from these producers, please! EDIT: Oh, I see now a dollar shadow is over Atlas... if it is Atlas.

Edited by JASKN

No more from these producers, please!

Alas for you, as you have no say in the matter. I hope it's great, and you find yourself gracefully dining on crow come October. More realistically, it'll probably be better than part 1, but still somewhere between ok and fairly good; hopefully, at best, it'll be good enough to recommend to anyone without blushing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmniZ3hLGY&feature=relmfu

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked at imdb.com and I see that Part I and Part II have exactly zero actors in common. I head heard that the actors playing Dagny and Rearden had been changed but I'm amazed to learn that not a single actor from Part I will appear in Part II. Will Part III have yet another completely different cast? Who is John Galt?

Part I: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

Part II: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985017/

• 1 month later...

It looks way, way better than I was expecting. But then, they said they were spending 10 times more on advertising, right?

I imagine this movie doesn't have CG effects or scenes to nearly the degree that the first did, because you don't have to show the John Galt Line, and therefore it's possible to make it more cheaply.

The scream in the last one made me cringe because it certainly hadn't been built up to, and seemed almost humorously melodramatic in context. I hope there's nothing like that in this one. *taggart tunnel collapse*

So far it looks true to the book, rather than some revision to make the political and social conflicts delineated in the book look just like the ones unfolding today.

The words “fossil fuels” don’t occur in Atlas Shrugged. And it looks like they’re going to end Part II on the first page of Part III. You call that being true to the book?!?! rant.gif

Boycott!

The new Francisco is shaping up to be a keeper. Mr. Thompson too, love the face.

My reaction to the first movie was disappointment, and I didn't have extremely high hopes to begin with. My heart sank when I heard there was a new cast for part 2; I immediately envisioned a cinematic death spiral to rival Lost. After this trailer, my spirits are on the rise. This could be a legitimately good movie. I might be able to recommend this to friends!