Objectivism Online Forum

Leave George Zimmerman alone!

Rate this topic

And that's why I'm gonna have my children play with toy guns, and train, hunt and defend themselves and their country with real ones when they grow up.

Nerf guns are one thing. But if you mean actual realistic looking toy guns then I think that fits my definition of gun culture: an irrational societal normalisation of portable death machines.

"Irrational societal normalization" my, what an imaginative description of Society Nicky!  Let's examine its rationality.

To be rational is to draw logical conclusions from the facts of reality.  Nicky's reasoning, if expressed as a syllogism, would look something like this:

P:  Guns can be used to defend yourself

p:  It is moral to defend yourself

C:  Guns can be used morally

So, if this is irrational, that must mean one of three things:

1-  Guns cannot be used to defend yourself

2-  It is immoral to defend yourself

3-  These true premises reached a false conclusion through bad logic

Now let's examine the difference between playing Cops and Robbers with nerf guns and doing so with cap guns; this vast difference which allows one to be moral while the other isn't.  Is it the superficial appearance of the toy, completely removed from function or use?

Methinks you should check your premises.

Edited by Harrison Danneskjold

I honestly don't get why some people fear random inanimate objects, as if they intrinsically had bad values as living objects themselves.  Then the next logical step is to have the Bushes or Obama’s of the world pretend they are Emilio Estevez and protect us all from the angry machines.  Just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I honestly don't get why some people fear random inanimate objects, as if they intrinsically had bad values as living objects themselves.  Then the next logical step is to have the Bushes or Obama’s of the world pretend they are Emilio Estevez and protect us all from the angry machines.  Just doesn't make any sense to me. 

Random objects? No I fear specific death machine objects. For example a kitchen knife is not a death machine even though it can kill. A handgun however is a death machine.