Objectivism Online Forum

Do you know what your purpose in life is?

Rate this topic

Have you explicitly identified your purpose or purposes? If so, would you mind sharing it or them, just to provide examples? I don't know what mine is except to say that my purpose is to find a purpose.

Is purpose something to be identified (i.e. it pre-exists) or something to be constructed (i.e. it does not pre-exist)?

Maybe it needs to be both?

A lot has been written by Objectivists about purpose, including Rand. I do think purpose is essential to human flourishing, but I do not think a lifelong "central purpose" which is not subject to change once set is ideal or even realistic for all people.

For reference, I have changed purpose many times, and expect to continue doing so for the rest of my life. One experience leads to the next, which is both limiting and freeing, including for choosing a purpose.

I don't like the term "central purpose in life", it sounds like some outsider entity (God? State? Philosopher?) is asking for tags.

To learn everything I can about life.

Nice!

What do you mean by "Life"? Philosophy? Natural sciences?

Edited by Uriah

I don't like the term "central purpose in life", it sounds like some outsider entity (God? State? Philosopher?) is asking for tags.

Much depends on whether this term is preceded by the word "our" or "my"...

What do you mean by "Life"? Philosophy? Natural sciences?

All of the above; if I were a cat, I'd be dead by now... actually, death by curiosity wouldn't be that bad, compared to being bored to death. Acquiring knowledge is my pursuit of happiness.

• 2 weeks later...