Objectivism Online Forum

What do you do if you lack talent?

Rate this topic

happiness

What do you do if you have a strong interest in a particular field of work, but lack the talent to hack it? For example, suppose you love computers and dream of being a software engineer at a company like Facebook or Google, but you aren't smart enough to compete with the brilliant young engineers who typically get hired at those companies. What do you do then?

I disagree with that. They weren't born with the specialized knowledge, but they were born with the aptitude for it.

Isn't "They spent their childhoods and early adulthoods learning and obsessing over math and computer science, until they got really good at it." an integral part of aptitude?

I hear people talk about athletes and geniuses having "raw talent" that they are born with. But most often, I hear those same athletes and geniuses talking about all their hard work or training. Who knows better, the athletes and geniuses or the people talking about them?

On a side note, sure you hear stories of 2 year old kids knowing how to play the piano, or people who have photographic memory. Prove me wrong, but I don't think the majority of producers or "talented" people were in that category.

Well there is plenty of evidence that both athletes and some geniuses are genetic freaks. In my estimation, the suggestion that any of us could play basketball the way King James does, with enough practice, or solve physics problems the way Einstein did, with enough studying, has been proven wrong.

But the subject isn't athletes or geniuses, it's your average (albeit still quite brilliant) Facebook or Google developers and executives. They are normal human beings who've been at this for a long time.

Genius, if we mean IQ, seems to only make people have an easier time thinking about abstract problems like math or philosophy. But that doesn't mean doing something brilliant, or even well. There are so many factors involved in a career that it's silly to say you lack talent. Maybe you lack programming talent, don't like programming much, and it's tough for you to grasp programming concepts. That doesn't mean you can't ever work with software engineers to help develop their products that you're so fascinated by. Basic programming would help, sure, but you don't necessarily need a PhD in computer science. Software engineers need management, organization, planning, business decisions, etc that you might be plenty good at. Maybe you're a good graphic designer, or you know how to design an interface. These are only obvious options. How you get involved in software engineering may only be a matter of creatively using the abilities you have developed.