Objectivism Online Forum

Pussy Riot - Putin/Russia's Breach Of Justice

Rate this topic

3 young women have been jailed for singing a song protesting Putin in Russia. This is a SICK breach of justice.

If you like Ayn Rand, if you believe that her ideas are right, and think the country she left should be getting better not worse, and ours too, in the USA, read the article below, and like the Facebook page below at the very least. Do more if you can.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1798040.html

http://www.facebook.com/PutOutPutin

And tell people to vote Romney-Ryan.

Disgusting!

I don't understand this.

If the same "Pussy Riot" girls were in the U.S. and disrupted an ongoing a church service by storming the altar and singing offensive lyrics (probably out of tune) they would also be in jail. This kind of disorderly behavior fits several criminal misdemeanors, and they could also be sued. In Russia they are getting a bit more jail time than they might have in America, but I don't see a great injustice being done.

WTF? The band invaded private property and violently disrupted a private meeting? That's news to me. And I've read or heard at least ten stories on it!

If true, then the American media is notably incompetent and dishonest! :dough:

Edited by Wotan

If the FSB trained three agents to do Putin's bidding before the elections, they couldn't have done a better job than these three morons.
Meaning what? That the Russian public supports Putin more because he sent them to jail for 2 years for a minor political protest?

WTF? The band invaded private property and violently disrupted a private meeting? That's news to me. And I've read or heard at least ten stories on it!
The news-reports that I heard and read all mentioned (or showed) that they demonstrated in a church.

However, speaking of a violation of private property is to drop context here. This is Russia, where a corrupt church supports Putin's tyranny and his gross violations of individual rights. This church has no ground on which to claim that their rights have been violated.

Yes; but now I assume you meant something different. What did you mean?

I meant what I wrote: that Pussy Riot's actions (desecrating the main cathedral of the most religious nation on Earth, in the name of the opposition) helped Putin win the election. Not that Putin's reaction did so.

Why? Russians own property, and that property is protected by law. Do you really think they shouldn't, and those laws should be gotten away with, until their government is changed?
This was not a protest against the property of some random individual or organization. it was specifically directed at the Russian Orthodox church that has -- by its support for tyranny -- forsaken any right to claim it's property should be protected.

The point that is not being discussed is: 3 girls are losing 2 years of their life because Putin does not want people protesting against him. He jails dissidents - just like Stalin. Remember Stalin? Ayn Rand would have been jailed for a much longer time, or worse.

So, who likes this?

And Obama (remember the White House website section asking people to report their neighbors who were opposed to Obamacare?!) is very much like him. Please comment on that.

And no, there is no one to vote for except Romney/Ryan - unless you want Obama to win, and Obamacare to stay, and America to get worse and worse.

Hellooooooooooooo?!

From what I’ve read, Pussy Riot played a prank of the type often done by Sacha Baron Cohen and the Upright Citizens Brigade. They weren’t arrested for the prank itself, but for using the footage in a video. It doesn’t appear that they actually disrupted a church service, I gather they did their thing in a famous church that’s open to the public, like most of the great churches in Rome are. There was a fairly similar case in NY associated with the Opie and Anthony show, where some people tried to have sex in St. Patrick’s and were arrested.

What to make of it all? By our standards the sentence is way out of proportion, but in Saudi Arabia they’d probably be getting 100 lashes if not beheaded. 400 years ago in Russia they’d have their tongues cut out (see the film 1612). So Putin doesn’t take criticism well, here’s Mr. Bond to bestow on him yet another title:

Why? Russians own property, and that property is protected by law. Do you really think they shouldn't, and those laws should be gotten away with, until their government is changed?

I don't think the band did anything except play music really loud and insult Putin. They were probably legitimately were allowed on the property, played the music, the owners got mad, the band got thrown out. That's about it. Worth a fine probably, but not much more. Sometimes a protest is worth getting into trouble if no one will notice if you asked nicely. They were treated unfairly, even though they are probably feminist anarchists.

and lyric translation:

http://ilnazmalyarevsky.ru/pussy-riot-putin-has-pissed-on-on-the-red-square/

I do not think they ever did anything worse than this.