Objectivism Online Forum

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels

Rate this topic

Alon

Has anyone read any of these novels?  The series looks like quite an exciting read; I would like to get opinions of it before starting.

I have not read any of the books in this series, but thanks for drawing attention to them.

The Amazon reviews make the books sound attractive to me, as I hunt for success stories. If they are well written, there is great news: There are at least 18 in the series!

The reviewers recommend what I usually recommend for series books: Start at the beginning, with the first published.

Alon,

I've read them all, and in addition have listened to them on unabridged tapes for years now (great for long car trips). They are very, very good, though it took three books to completely hook me. They are the best historical fiction I have read, period. You do need to read them in order, by the way: the first book is "Master and Commander".

I've read them all twice, and recommend them. All of the adventure, erudition, and wit make up for their failings, which include a tendency toward naturalism (the protagonists are not always perfect Heros, particularly in the area of romance, and some of the romantic sub-plots are unpleasant and non-Romantic). The series is essentially a "buddy-story", about the friendship of the two protagonists. The dialogue is excellent, the characterizations are strong.

I also strongly recommend that if you decide to embark upon the entire series, purchase the companion book, "A Sea of Words". You will likely learn dozens of new ones, particularly of a nautical vein (for example, if you have the patience, you will learn the name for every sail and spar on sailing vessels of the era). I also found it helpful to have a field guide for birds and mammals handy (one of the protagonists is a scientist/naturalist/physician, in addition to being a spy). Enjoy.

The movie was okay but I think it was more a tribute to the authenticity of the novels, which everybody loves so much, than it was an attempt to really create the characters on film and possibly begin a series.

I've only read "Master and Commander". I am not yet hooked.

However, I am a big fan of CS Forester's Horation Hornblower books. I've read them all and love them very much. For those who have never read the Hornblower books, I'd also recommand to check out A&E "Horation Hornblower" mini-series which are available on DVD and VHS. They are absolutely stunning.

Labrat,

"Master and Commander" wasn't enough to hook me, either. However, I strongly recommend going through the next two books, and I think you will be rewarded. O' Brian really hits his stride after those books, and after you have gone through the series, you will probably discover that you will enjoy those first three books upon reading them a second time. Some of the last books, though, did disappoint...

I too am a fan of Forester's "Horatio Hornblower" series, and also thought that the A&E adaptations were well done.