Objectivism Online Forum

Hair loss

Rate this topic

I'm in my 20s and recently noticed that I've experienced a degree of hair miniaturization (reduced circumference of hair strands) on my scalp. What used to be thick, strong strands of hair are now noticeably thinner and more brittle than they used to be. I find this quite upsetting since my formerly thick head of hair was the most attractive thing about me. As for the two main hair restoration products on the market, Rogaine doesn't seem to be applicable to my situation, and Propecia has unacceptable side effects (although if things get bad enough I might consider it). Assuming that this process is irreversible, how do I deal with it psychologically and intellectually?

Edited by happiness

I've experienced this problem last year at the age of 17. Personally, it was because of hormonal imbalance and poor diet. I suggest you take vitamin supplements. As for medication, try Doriance and Topikrin shampoo. You should take Doriance for at least three months.

You would not be disappointed!

However, I suggest you tackle the reason behind your hair loss. Do some blood tests; it's most likely vitamin deficiency (mainly B12) or Anemia.

However, I suggest you tackle the reason behind your hair loss. Do some blood tests; it's most likely vitamin deficiency (mainly B12) or Anemia.

The reason is that he's a man. :P

Stop making your self-esteem contingent upon your appearance.

Oh please!

Assuming that this process is irreversible, how do I deal with it psychologically and intellectually?

The short and painful answer is: accept and move on. If you're concerned with your own attractiveness over time, as a man the number one thing you can do to help yourself, and really the only thing you need (especially if your face is ugly) is to get in shape and stay in shape. Everything about you will be more attractive, including how you feel about everything you do, because you'll feel healthier, too.

It should be noted that ALL hair can be made to look attractive, no matter how thin. The trick is to always be realistic and work with what you have. Don't act like you still have thicker hair and don't try to style it like hair is still growing in places it isn't. This will probably be an ever-evolving thing as your hair gets thinner and thinner.

While this is not a way to stop male pattern baldness, I do have a few tips that could atleast help a little. Stop using shampoo. Don't wash your hair too often, and when you do put some oil in the hair before washing it and only use conditioner. There are some claims that castor oil can stop hair loss and support hair growth, but I don't know if there's any actual research to back it up. If this issue is very important to you I think you also should consult an expert on hair loss treatments.

Other than that I think you've recieved some excellent advice here. If the hair loss is inevitable there's nothing else to do than just "deal with it". Getting your body in shape and devolping a personal style that works for you can also do wonders for feeling more attractive(and healthy, and strong and... so on). And I can also confirm that alot of women love a shaved head(i've tried that just to see how it would look, once the battle is lost and i'll develop my fathers hairline).

<p>

As for the two main hair restoration products on the market, Rogaine doesn't seem to be applicable to my situation, and Propecia has unacceptable side effects (although if things get bad enough I might consider it).

I use Propecia and it really works extremely well. I see no side effects. Also combine it with Nizoral shampoo twice a week.

<p>

I use Propecia and it really works extremely well. I see no side effects. Also combine it with Nizoral shampoo twice a week.

The Wikipedia article on Finasteride is quite interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost you per month using that treatment? I've thought about trying it myself, but i'm not sure the cost is worth it(my hairline is receeding at the temples, where Finasteride is less effective, plus I look good with a shaved head... so...).

Mine started at 19. Think of it as a way to explore the wonderful world of hats :)

But wearing hats for a relatively long time (especially in the summer) can damage the scalp by preventing air circulation. Sweat can clog up the pores in the scalp and promote hair loss.

<p>

This is true, Propecia reduces the levels of DHT (a hormone that shrinks hair follicles), but it works best in young people whose hair is just beginning to thin. However, this drug comes with drawbacks. It can (and most probably will) reduce sex drive. You see DHT is also responsible for maintaining libido, boosting fertility and balancing estrogen levels.

<p>

As others have pointed out, my understanding is that Propecia works by reducing one's androgen levels, which, to me, is a greater evil than hair loss.

Edited by happiness

Honestly I think it should be between you and your doctor to decide of Propecia is right for you. A lot of people here are making a lot of assumptions about DHT, Just because it is an androgen doesn't mean that reducing it is "reducing what makes you a man" or anything of that kind. It's just a chemical. Many people's hormones are probably out of whack due to poor diet these days anyway.

Only want to share an important thing. I used Propecia for years but the best results only came in the last few 2 - 3 months when I included the Nizoral shampoo. I also wash my hair now with a gentle shampoo every day. I have been waiting for Propecia to reduce my sex drive but I am very much disappointed.

• 7 months later...

If you have a receding hair line, you will look more wise, experienced, and intelligent.  As your experience in life grows, your hair retreats from all the horrors you've experienced in life, but you are the wiser for having gone through it.  The more truths you comprehend the less hairs you will have as your brain no longer needs that sheltering.  As your hair commits suicide you stand firmly as a force to be reckoned with.  As your forehead becomes a widows peak, you are now a man that can make real decisions in life and understand the extremes of human emotion and the entire spectrum of good and evil throughout mankinds history.