Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand interviewed by James Day 1974

Rate this topic

And here’s something good from the VHS middens, the 1974 interview with James Day. He’s a sympathetic, unchallenging interviewer, so this one lacks the fireworks of the Wallace and Donahue interviews, and I think it’s a much lower voltage affair than the Johnny Carson one, maybe for lack of a live audience. Far as I can tell this is the first time it’s been on YouTube, and it certainly hasn’t been available for a long time. Laissez Faire Books used to sell it on VHS, but we’re talking 20 years ago.

The subject matter is pretty wide ranging of course, but the most time is spent on religion and esthetics. There are some nice zingers. Sorry about the picture quality, alas my VCR belongs in a nursing home. Enjoy.

I learned from this that Ayn Rand was under contract to write another novel. That surprised me. I thought she was finished after Atlas.

Sure, according to Barbara Branden’s biography she received an advance, and later returned it. It was going to be about unrequited love, there’s a character name or two on record, and the final line of dialogue, which I can’t recall offhand. “What suffering?”, or something like that I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Day: How do you feel about abstract art?

Rand: Do you mean non-objective?

Day: Non-objective.

Rand: I think it's less art than photography. I think it is an enormous fraud.

Day: Fraud?

Rand: Yes. I don't think...um...It's impossible to discuss it seriously. It means nothing, it is nothing. The perpetrators claim that they don't know what they're doing, and I think they're right, I'm willing to take them at their word, they don't know what they're doing, and neither do we, and the ash can is the proper place for it. But I mean it seriously.

-----

I wonder if Rand was actually talking about any real people in the above, or if she was just giving her impression of what she mistakenly assumed that others must have believed. I know of no "perpetrators" of non-objective art who claimed to not know what they were doing. In fact, most of those whom I've read were much more specific about what they were doing than, say, Frank Lloyd Wright was when writing about the abstract forms of his architecture.

J

Edited by Jonathan13