Objectivism Online Forum

Website design

Rate this topic

NIJamesHughes

I want to put together a website that collects articles by objectivist's on the new right, religion and fascism. I have very limited technical experiance. If anyone wants to be involved, I will cover the cost of maintaining the site and will collect the articles and permissions.

Have you thought about using blogging software? Packages like MovableType and WordPress are easy to customize if you have a basic knowledge of html, and you can find free templates that arrange the presentation in any number of ways.

There's also TypePad, which provides hosting and support for a derivative of MovableType. And then there's Blogger, which is free, but lacks some of TypePad's features and support.

McGroarty is right. Blogs are pretty easy.

If you want to do a more general website, there are several options:

1) Just about any web service, Yahoo/Geocities, AOL, et al., have website builder

utility programs on their browsers that are pretty simple to use after you read the directions.

2) If you want to build one "from the ground up," you'll have to learn some HTML or XHTML. HTML is an acronym for Hyper-Text Mark-up Language. The X in XHTML stands for eXtensible. HTML was created by a physicist at the CERN so that computers could talk directly to each other because so many papers were being written about atomic reasearch, postage was so expensive, and mailing them was taking so long. The CERN is an atomic research facility located in Switzerland and is where the web was born. Google search CERN and it will tell you this somewhere on their website.

HTML is really pretty easy but, you will have to read a book or two. It consists of TAGS placed before and after information to be placed on the site. They look like this: <tag>blah, blah, blah</tag>.

An HTML "form," as it is called, has two parts:

1. A HEADER at the beginning. Look for <header> and </header>

A line above header tells what version of HTML is used. Another line up here gives info used by search engines.

2. A BODY which follows the header and contains the main body of the web page information. Look for <body> and </body>

A newer version of HTML called Cascading Style Sheets, or CSS, is the current version but nobody really uses this because most web pages were written before this came out.

Java Script, not to be confused with the programming language Java, is a lot more complicated and is a language/style usually interspersed to make web sites do fancy things. Little routines called "applets" do this too.

If you want to see the "code" that any website is written in, just click VIEW/SOURCE up on the menu bar. Most of them use HTML tables which can be confusing. The people that make the rules about all this are called the World Wide Web Consortium or W3C. Their web site is www.w3c.org

I built a practice website at www.geocities.com/publiusone once. I ended up reading over a thousand pages to do this.

3) There are "Web Wizard" programs you can purchase that will do essentially what you can do for free in 2) above.

My advise? Either follow McGroarty's suggestion or just find a browser on line such as Yahoo/Geocities that has a free web wizard offered and use that.

I want to put together a website that collects articles by objectivist's on the new right, religion and fascism. I have very limited technical experiance. If anyone wants to be involved, I will cover the cost of maintaining the site and will collect the articles and permissions.

http://www.objective-web-design.com/

As of right now I mostly only know HTML, but I can figure out how to do just about anything someone may need.

I have got most of the links on the site, I am just having some trouble getting the pictures with links on there. I am using geocities. here is a link to the site Whould anyone mind helping me out on this?

http://geocities.com/thenewright05/

Thanks in Advance

James Hughes