Objectivism Online Forum

When is the D-I-M Hypothesis book due?

Rate this topic

Tribeof1

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question but here it goes anyway.

I know Leonard Piekoff is currently writing this book, and I was wondering when it can be expected to be published. I could not find the information at his site and was wondering if anyone here has any info. Thanks.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question but here it goes anyway.

I know Leonard Piekoff is currently writing this book, and I was wondering when it can be expected to be published. I could not find the information at his site and was wondering if anyone here has any info. Thanks.

He did an interview with ARI recently where he gave a date, and it was printed and sent out to donors. I had it here somewhere but can't seem to find it in my organized chaos.

I too am looking forward to the new book. If it is anything like his last book then I expect to expand my knowledge of Objectivism greatly.

He did an interview with ARI recently where he gave a date, and it was printed and sent out to donors.  I had it here somewhere but can't seem to find it in my organized chaos.

I too am looking forward to the new book.  If it is anything like his last book then I expect to expand my knowledge of Objectivism greatly.

I happen to have a copy of Impact handy. To quote Peikoff regarding the publication date:

I am now - very tentatively - projecting its completion in 2007, and its publication in 2008. That at least is my hope.

So we have a few years to wait. :)

• 2 months later...
No, he didn't. I remember hearing him refer to writing a book on "the one in the many" a few years ago. Is that the book you mean?

If memory serves, Peikoff renamed the book from a working title of "the one in the many" to "The DIM Hypothesis." I believe he says this in a recorded online speech (perhaps the Ford Hall Forum).

If memory serves, Peikoff renamed the book from a working title of "the one in the many" to "The DIM Hypothesis." I believe he says this in a recorded online speech (perhaps the Ford Hall Forum).

What would make more sense is that, after starting work on "The One and the Many," which partly entailed a study of the history of induction, he saw a higher priority subject emerge: "The DIM Hypothesis," a work that will be very helpful for historians and for analysts of contemporary culture (including presidential election candidates).

In other words, might there be two books in process, with "The DIM Hypothesis" to be completed first?

"The One and the Many," which partly entailed a study of the history of induction,

Actually, what he said at OCON 2002 was that the first half of the book was a history of induction in physics, and that because he was not a physics expert that David Harriman was taking the lead on the book.

I don't know how the structure of the book has changed, or if its even the same book, but Harriman is currently working on a book with the working title The Anti-Copernican Revolution and the Fall of Physics, which could be the history part of that project, and what Peikoff is working on is what would have been the second half of "The One and the Many".

Actually, what he said at OCON 2002 was that the first half of the book was a history of induction in physics, and that because he was not a physics expert that David Harriman was taking the lead on the book.

[bold added for emphasis.]

I am confused. To what does "the book" refer here? A book on philosophical induction (the one and the many)?

I don't know how the structure of the book has changed, or if its even the same book, but Harriman is currently working on a book with the working title The Anti-Copernican Revolution and the Fall of Physics, which could be the history part of that project, and what Peikoff is working on is what would have been the second half of "The One and the Many".

Questions for anyone:

Where would the DIM hypothesis fit in, in terms of book plans?

Are there not three books in the works?

1. A book on induction in philosophy, by Dr. Peikoff. This addresses the biggest problem of philosophy: induction (gaining the one from the many).

2. A book on the modern corruption of physics, by David Harriman. (This is the one that deals with the anti-Copernican revolution of our times.)

3. A book on the DIM hypothesis, by Dr. Peikoff, being a result, in part, of the DIM hypothesis workshop which Dr. Peikoff gave in recent years. (Isn't it Dr. Peikoff's usual practice to lecture or lead workships on subjects he plans to write about in book form -- as a test of the material and its presentation?)

At any rate, are these not the three main subjects that will be addressed by these two Objectivists?

It's certainly possible Peikoff has three books in the hopper.

The information I provided yesterday may have been dated since it was dredged from my memory of a speech Peikoff gave about DIM at (possibly) the Ford Hall Forum. Until I review the speech for accuracy, my recollection was as follows: Peikoff said he merged the "one in the many" book concept into the DIM Hypothesis book project. I'll down a few Ginko Biloba's and see if my memory gets sharper on that.....

If my recollection proves accurate, Peikoff would then be working on two books the DIM/"one in many" book and the physics collaboration with Harriman (which my DIM memory recalls him mentioning in that speech).

I have some more DIM puns but I'll leave them at the forum door. Thanks.

By the way, this is my second day as a forum member and I'm really enjoying the depth and diversity of discussions you offer...good work (even if I am [as a 34-year-old] outside of the majority age bracket). As a neophyte Objectivist, I am much younger in terms of philosophical development — thanks to the Southern Baptist Convention (and me for accepting their philosophy).

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I cannot find the source at the moment (it was likely in the answer to an unrelated question during one of his podcasts, since I tried searching the OO.net index and his site with no luck), but I am almost certain he said the book will be out at the end of 2012, not 2011.

In his podcast, Episode 71 — July 20, 2009 (06:00: [When is Dr. Peikoff's book, DIM Hypothesis, coming out?] [Part of the response to the above question.]), Dr. Peikoff states that he has a contract with Penguin to deliver his manuscript by December 2010 and that the book would be out then a year later, in December of 2011. On his site, the page for the book, The DIM Hypothesis, states simply at the bottom, "BOOK COMING SOON."

I would think, given the contract, and unless there's been some change announced since that podcast, that his book will be out this year, 2011, in just a couple of months.

Edit: Dr. Peikoff says the same thing, about the contract and the availability of his book in December 2011, in his podcast, Episode 59 — April 27, 2009 (08:42: "Now a question about my book, which I'm just calling 'DIM': 'Is your book a theory that needs a real technical knowledge, or can it be grasped by a general level of knowledge?'"), as noted by patrik 7-2321 in his post to this thread which includes the specific single question response embedded -- you can listen to Dr. Peikoff's statement via patrik 7-2321's post.

Edited by Trebor

http://www.facebook....232656623450415

*** Mod's note: Adding the details from that link, for those who don't use Facebook... - sN ***

The publisher, Penguin's New American Library, has decided to publish The DIM Hypothesis (have it in the stores) in September 2012, earlier than I thought, and a few months before the election. That's assuming I hand in the manuscript by mid-November, which is now an absolute commitment in my mind.

- September 22, 2011 at 12:38pm

Edited by softwareNerd
Added quote from linked page

• 5 months later...