Objectivism Online Forum

Whedon mentions Rand

Rate this topic

Rand gets more politically related mention in Whedon's viral youtube on Romney and how voting for him would lead to a zombie apocolapse. I am not sure if this link to the youtube will work, but it is titled Whedon on Romney, he mentions Rand by name in it:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6TiXUF9xbTo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6TiXUF9xbTo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiXUF9xbTo

Here is the article I had first read about it in:

http://natmonitor.com/2012/10/30/joss-whedon-mitt-romney-will-lead-u-s-to-zombie-apocalypse/

Edited by intellectualammo

That's got to be the least funny Romney bashing clip I've ever seen.

Sounds long. What did he say about Rand?

It's a two minute clip. He just says that Romney will cause the zombie apocalypse, and when it comes, you'll want to stick with the fastest, strongest people.. unless they read Ayn Rand.

Edited by mdegges

Here is the transcript of what he said:

http://lybio.net/tag/whedon-on-romney-transcript/

He even portrays Romney at the end as a 'Zomney'.

This is the part he brings up Rand in:

Romney is ready to make the deep rollbacks in health care, education, social services, reproductive rights, that will guarantee poverty, unemployment, overpopulation, disease, rioting, all crucial elements in creating a nightmare zombie wasteland. But it’s his commitment to ungoverned corporate privilege that will nose-dive this economy into true insolvency and chaos. The kind of chaos you can’t buy back. Money is only so much paper to the undead. The 1% will no longer be the very rich, it will be the very fast. Anyone can run, fight, make explosives out of household objects or especially do parkour of any kind – you’ll want to stick with them, unless they read Ayn Rand.

Edited by intellectualammo

That's got to be the least funny Romney bashing clip I've ever seen.

It's a two minute clip. He just says that Romney will cause the zombie apocalypse, and when it comes, you'll want to stick with the fastest, strongest people.. unless they read Ayn Rand.

Meh, I'll just stick with Hershel. He has a farm, a hot daughter, and knows how to stitch up a gunshot wound.

The 1% will no longer be the very rich, it will be the very fast. Anyone can run, fight, make explosives out of household objects or especially do parkour of any kind – you’ll want to stick with them, unless they read Ayn Rand.

See, this joke really falls flat, because nothing indicates to me why you wouldn't want to stick around an Ayn Rand fan during the zombie apocalypse. What would've been better is to suggest that readers of Ayn Rand fans are already zombies, and go from there. "They want your brainnnnnsssssssss because your rational faculty is your means of survival!" Forget just the Rand part, the whole video wasn't great.

Edited by Eiuol

See, this joke really falls flat, because nothing indicates to me why you wouldn't want to stick around an Ayn Rand fan during the zombie apocalypse. What would've been better is to suggest that readers of Ayn Rand fans are already zombies, and go from there. "They want your brainnnnnsssssssss because your rational faculty is your means of survival!" Forget just the Rand part, the whole video wasn't great.

I guess he's suggesting that those in need should do the same thing they do now: mooch off those who have anything of value to offer. But, in the absence of an all powerful government to do the taking by force part of the mooching process, that plan is not going to work out so well with Rand fans. Which, in his view, is of course a bad thing: those in need should be helped, and the government's job is to make sure even Rand fans do their moral duty.

Interesting, given the nature of the protagonists Whedon created in Firefly, that he's such a dyed in the wool statist.

The even more interesting thing to mention is that the writer/director Tim Minear, who wrote a whole screenplay for The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, has worked with Whedon on many occasions.

The even more interesting thing to mention is that the writer/director Tim Minear, who wrote a whole screenplay for The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, has worked with Whedon on many occasions.

Ah yes....

"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws — always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck when we stood up. Because not one of those people said: "Please pass this so that I won't be able to do something I know I should stop." Nyet, tovarishchee, was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them "for their own good" — not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."