Objectivism Online Forum

Who gets your vote on Tuesday?

Rate this topic

32 members have voted

1. 1. Whom will you vote for as President (or have already voted for)

• Mitt Romney
    • Barack Obama
    • Gary Johnson
    • Other party's candidate
    • Write in candidate
    • Will not vote even though I can legally do so
    • Cannot vote in U.S. election 2012

I think it would be nice if people put down their state in addition to their vote. I'm in Florida, so I feel I have to vote Romney, even though I've voted Libertarian for decades. Someone in NY or California who votes for Johnson gets a thumbs up from me, but in Florida or Ohio, well, I'm not generally one to wag a finger at people over their voting choices but...

On 1, I'm a bit leary of, but leaning toward a yes.

Yeah, it isn't the language I'd have liked. I'd prefer to see some type of check on state control: for instance, some objective measures of insolvency or at least some type of judicial review. Still, it is what it is, and I think it is better than the status quo.

I think 5 deserves to be passed, the others should be tabled.
I might vote for #5 as well.

Begrudgingly, Romney, in Ohio. That is, if I don't work past voting time, which takes place two blocks from where I live. Can't say I'm more optimistic one way or the other, I just despise Obama and want his arrogant ass removed.

On 1, I'm a bit leary of, but leaning toward a yes.

I think 5 deserves to be passed, the others should be tabled.

Yeah, it isn't the language I'd have liked. I'd prefer to see some type of check on state control: for instance, some objective measures of insolvency or at least some type of judicial review. Still, it is what it is, and I think it is better than the status quo.

I might vote for #5 as well.

Yes to 5 and no to the rest.

The issue I have with 1 is the fact it is open ended, allowing the Executive Branch some real potential for abuse.

I’d also like to point to Proposal 2. If that monster passes you will see the Unions sharpening their swords in every State. It could have a chilling effect across the country if the Unions get this one rolling.

The issue I have with 1 is the fact it is open ended, allowing the Executive Branch some real potential for abuse.
Yes, I'd like to have seen different language and a little more check/balance. Still, I see very little chance that this executive power will be abused. Weighing that potential against the proven fiscal irresponsibility of a few cities, I plan to vote for it despite my reservations.

TEXT of Michigan Proposal 1:

Establish criteria to assess the financial condition of local government units, including school districts.

 Authorize Governor to appoint an emergency manager (EM) upon state finding of a financial emergency, and allow the EM to act in place of local government officials.

 Require EM to develop financial and operating plans, which may include modification or termination of contracts, reorganization of government, and determination of expenditures, services, and use of assets until the emergency is resolved.

 Alternatively, authorize state-appointed review team to enter into a local government approved consent decree.

I’d also like to point to Proposal 2. If that monster passes you will see the Unions sharpening their swords in every State.
Yes. I hope that gets defeated. Long-term, unions are in defensive retreat and I'd hate to see them win this battle.

TEXT od Michigan Proposal 2:

Grant public and private employees the constitutional right to organize and bargain collectively through labor unions.

 Invalidate existing or future state or local laws that limit the ability to join unions and bargain collectively, and to negotiate and enforce collective bargaining agreements, including employees’ financial support of their labor unions. Laws

may be enacted to prohibit public employees from striking.

 Override state laws that regulate hours and conditions of employment to the extent that those laws conflict with collective bargaining agreements.

 Define “employer” as a person or entity employing one or more employees.

Question to folks from other states: Any important referendum in your state?

Edited by softwareNerd

Not voting. Part of me is hoping Romney doesn't get elected though because it leaves the door open for a better 2016 candidate on the Republican side.

My line of reasoning is similar. I picked Obama because I don't think he'll be worse than Romney, and he's marginally better in some regards. The 2016 election will be more fundamental one I think, so I'd rather that election be "clean slate" without an incumbent.

My line of reasoning is similar. I picked Obama because I don't think he'll be worse than Romney, and he's marginally better in some regards. The 2016 election will be more fundamental one I think, so I'd rather that election be "clean slate" without an incumbent.
Would you be more likely to vote GOP if Newt, Perry, Santorum, or Bachmann had been nominated (i.e. excluding Ron Paul)?

I think it is impossible to predict who will run in the next election. Once in a while a party puts up someone who actually leads with views of his own. However, the most likely probability for 2016 (if Obama wins now) is a slate of GOP candidates that looks just like this year's slate.

Edited by softwareNerd

Would you be more likely to vote GOP if Newt, Perry, Santorum, or Bachmann had been nominated (i.e. excluding Ron Paul)?

A big maybe for Newt, but the rest of them... there wouldn't be a chance I'd vote GOP. If Romney didn't get elected, it's plausible that the Santorum types would garner greater support in 2016. On the other hand, perhaps they'll become even more marginalized by then if Obama is re-elected.

Edited by Eiuol

A big maybe for Newt, but the rest of them... there wouldn't be a chance I'd vote GOP. If Romney didn't get elected, it's plausible that the Santorum types would garner greater support in 2016. On the other hand, perhaps they'll become even more marginalized by then if Obama is re-elected.
If they don;t go for wishy-washy (McCain and Romney) again, the GOP might decide it is time to take a clearer stand that is less "naturally" appealing to independents, but to bet that independents can be won over by powerful and committed rhetoric. If they do that, someone like Newt has a good chance of getting the nomination.

Personally, I dislike Newt much more than Romney. Newt is a pretty committed neo-con and he also appears to be more committed to religion. I think he would be like a GOP-version of Obama -- riling up Democrats if he ever becomes President.

I hate the "let's just focus on replacing the current problem, without paying any attention to what it's being replaced by" attitude. It's not gonna lead to anything good, ever.

I think it is impossible to predict who will run in the next election. Once in a while a party puts up someone who actually leads with views of his own. However, the most likely probability for 2016 (if Obama wins now) is a slate of GOP candidates that looks just like this year's slate.

I think the most likely 2016 GOP nominee would be Paul Ryan. He has some clear ideas that distinguish him from moderate Republicans and Democrats.

Edited by Nicky