Objectivism Online Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Stotts

Re-blogged post: I, Pencil: The Movie

Rate this topic

by Jason Stotts

One of the things that I think people often fail to understand about markets is that literally every good is affected by every other.  A change in the price of oil will change the price of wool.  A regulation about coffee in Brazil will change the price of cars in America.  Everything that affects a market at all will be felt in the price of every good or service in the market.  Perhaps the effect will be larger or smaller, but if you do anything in a market, rest assured you are having an impact.  I think this short movie does a good job of illustrating this fact in a very benevolent way and I encourage everyone to take a look at it.

Capitalism is the only system of individual rights ever conceived; it is the only moral system of human interaction.

Link to Original

The New York Times Magazine
Inside One of America’s Last Pencil Factories
A photographer captures a colorful world of craft and complexity.
Photographs by CHRISTOPHER PAYNE Text by SAM ANDERSON JAN. 12, 2018

Closing paragraph:

Photographs like these do something similar. They preserve the secret origins of objects we tend to take for granted. They show us the pride and connection of the humans who make those objects, as well as a mode of manufacturing that is itself disappearing in favor of automation. Like a pencil, these photos trace motions that may someday be gone.

Some of these pictures capture a high degree of automation all ready in place.