Objectivism Online Forum

Does Rand's Aesthetics Differ from Soviet "Art"?

Rate this topic

Swerve of Shore

But in order to redeem my previous bad comments on Rockwell, I'll post my favorite piece by him instead of an answer: connoisseur_rockwell.jpg

In the January 13, 1962 issue of the Saturday Evening Post (on whose cover The Connoisseur appeared) Rockwell was quoted by the editors as having said, "If I were young now I might paint that way myself. Recently I attended some classes in modern art techniques. I learned a lot and loved it."

J

Thanks for that J. Rockwell only later in life was recognized as an artist an not an illustrator (while Warhol and Liechtenstein were making art WITH illustrations). From an objectivist point of view, the interesting thing about The Connoisseur is that it features an artist's recreation of an artist's recreation of, in this case, Pollock's value judgements.... Pretty Forbidden Zone, no?

@Swerve of Shore: These things happen, maybe more often when I enter a thread. Still, please continue your original discussion maybe in that other thread. In my opinion one doesn't need to hate a style or piece of art to appreciate its opposite. I think there are plenty paradoxes and overlaps in reality which I respect in itself well above what is written about reality.

I was not lamenting the fact that the thread went off in another direction. It was more like I was apologizing for breaking the rhythm of the thread by returning to my original post. I love your discussion about oranges, luxury and the mafia.

I also enjoy the direction of the thread, especially the bit about oranges and what they signified in that context. I am trying to understand art more fully. I do think context in a piece is obviously extremely important.

In the Warhol piece , I think what is lacking , for me, is a context. I didn't understand his intended context, which I see as a fault of the piece(that it doesn't have a perceptual context) it seems on the face to be images of a very utilitarian thing.