Objectivism Online Forum

A new website problem

Rate this topic

When I am on the main forum page, the one with the far left column being "Debate and Discussion" and the far right column being "Last Post Info," if I click on "In" in the "Last Post Info" to go directly to the post in a particular forum, I get a blank page. If I click on the forum name itself, like, for instance, "Metaphysics and Epistemology," then I do get into the forum listing all of the topics, but if I click on "Last Post by" I again get a blank page. If I click on a given topic in the forum that I am in, it will take me to the beginning of the topic, but then I have to navigate through however many pages there are to get to the latest post. These blank pages occur where postings used to be.

I am using Firefox, but I just checked it with Internet Explorer and the same problem occurs. Hopefully this can be fixed.

When I am on the main forum page, the one with the far left column being "Debate and Discussion" and the far right column being "Last Post Info," if I click on "In" in the "Last Post Info" to go directly to the post in a particular forum, I get a blank page. If I click on the forum name itself, like, for instance, "Metaphysics and Epistemology," then I do get into the forum listing all of the topics, but if I click on "Last Post by" I again get a blank page. If I click on a given topic in the forum that I am in, it will take me to the beginning of the topic, but then I have to navigate through however many pages there are to get to the latest post. These blank pages occur where postings used to be.

I am using Firefox, but I just checked it with Internet Explorer and the same problem occurs. Hopefully this can be fixed.

Two additional things. After making this last post I was presented with a blank page. Also, each time I post I am again asked to log in.

I think this may be an issue with the way PHP handles session cookies, but I have no idea why this problem didn't come up yesterday..

I know nothing at all about PHP and the like, but I do notice that today the URL in the forum is different from yesterday. Yesterday it began with some numbers, starting with a 6 I recall, but today it is "objectivismonline.net/forum ..." Two different websites between yesterday and today?

When I am on the main forum page, the one with the far left column being "Debate and Discussion" and the far right column being "Last Post Info," if I click on "In" in the "Last Post Info" to go directly to the post in a particular forum, I get a blank page.

Besides the problems Stephen mentions (last-post access, repeated requests for log-in), I am having trouble replying to a post in a thread. Here is what happens:

I press QUOTE and REPLY.

I get the reply draft form, showing the whole post quoted.

I delete the part I don't want, and then type my response.

I hit PREVIEW. I then see what I expect to see.

I scroll down to hit the button ADD REPLY to send it. As I am scrolling down, I see the reply draft window -- and it is once again showing the whole quote, including the part I deleted.

I am sending this with all but the first sentence of Stephen's post deleted. We will see what happens.

Be very, very, careful here.  The United States has lots of ties to terrorists (did you just sleep through the Reagan years?  Bush years?  Clinton years?).  If you are going to use “ties to terrorists” as a criteria, you have to use it both ways.  Have you studied the Nuremberg Trials?  I want you to find out how “War Crimes” were defined.

Gimme a sec… nope, there is something not right here.  If, as Patrick N. states:

I’m an AMERICAN, not an ISRAELI

Oh, now you mention Americans (well, Israel uber alles).  Okay, you got me.  Wipe him off of the planet.  I mean it.  Questions: How was a blitzkrieg through Iraq a plan to wipe Saddam off the planet?  Isn’t military service compulsory in Israel?  How does Objectivism view compulsory military service?  How many Israelis are fighting alongside American soldiers in Iraq?

I just posted a reply to American Intentions in Iraq. My post is 64. It is a mess. What I tried to post begins near the bottom with the last quote (about military service) from johngalt1972 and onward. The stuff above comes from previous posts I made today! It is as if the reply-draft window is accumulating material from post to post.

P. S. -- I hope a moderator will delete the whole post 64 in that thread. There was no REPORT button when I examined the posting.

I believe I have found the problem. Greedy Capitalist is off AIM, so I've taken the liberty of making a change myself. Please revisit the site, log in one last time, and let me know if the problem persists or if anything looks newly broken.

Bingo! We have a new hero. Thanks for the fix.

Everything seems to be OK now EXCEPT none of the avatars are showing for me.  I'm using IE.

I reproduced the same problem, reloaded the page, and bingo you're there.

Same solution did not work for Firefox, and the same people have their avatars missing as Mr. Speicher specified. Although I see Mr Speicher's.

I reproduced the same problem, reloaded the page, and bingo everybody is there.

Same solution did not work for Firefox, and the same people have their avatars missing as Mr. Speicher specified. Although I see Mr Speicher's.

Have you tried in the last minute or two? I use Mozilla, which is FireFox's twin. It works for me now.

lol... thanks all for worrying ...but i actually removed my avatar a while back...i meant to remove the profile pic as well...i'll be replacing it with an update. :D

p.s thanks to GC and McGroarty for getting the forum back...it was missed!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.