Objectivism Online Forum

Article about Rand's current relevence

Rate this topic

"[M]aking a comeback"? Did she ever go away? Though I've never made a formal study of book sales and media mentions, my impression is that her popularity and influence have followed a fairly steady upward trajectory over the decades, getting steeper in the last few years. The notion looks to be quite as far off the mark as the one popular in the 60s but still abroad as late as 2004 (Buckley's Getting It Right), that Rand was a passing fancy whose writings and ideas have no future.

"[M]aking a comeback"? Did she ever go away? Though I've never made a formal study of book sales and media mentions, my impression is that her popularity and influence have followed a fairly steady upward trajectory over the decades, getting steeper in the last few years. The notion looks to be quite as far off the mark as the one popular in the 60s but still abroad as late as 2004 (Buckley's Getting It Right), that Rand was a passing fancy whose writings and ideas have no future.

That is true. I took the reference as how the critics that smear Rand see her as the boogyman in political enemies (see Ryan) when it is clear they are not full formed products of her ideas. Close enough scares them so you can imagine the heart attack they would have if someone closer to the mark ran for office.

That is true. I took the reference as how the critics that smear Rand see her as the boogyman in political enemies (see Ryan) when it is clear they are not full formed products of her ideas. Close enough scares them so you can imagine the heart attack they would have if someone closer to the mark ran for office.

Or perhaps worse yet for them , a Foxesque network from an O'ist perspective.

I don't think the author of the article is claiming "she went away" but she certainly has made a comeback as far as relevence in the mainstream media.

In the '90s and earlier '00s the majority of people I'd mention Rand to had not heard of her, or if they had heard of her they maybe had heard of The Fountainhead but not read it.

Now you will rarely encounter someone who hasn't heard of Rand. Unfortunately most of what most people have heard is misinformation still.

Or perhaps worse yet for them , a Foxesque network from an O'ist perspective.

Hmmm...

Tonight at 8PM EST on the RNN (Rational News Network)… Yaron Brook welcomes Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to the No Context-Dropping Zone. It is an intense interview as Brook doesn’t let Clinton evade essentials as he gets to the bottom of what is really going on in the Middle-East!