Objectivism Online Forum

Should I take a job with a "shady" debt collection agency?

Rate this topic

So, I really need a job, but it's hard for me to get one due to lack of experience.

My long-term goal is to work as a precious metals broker. It would help a lot to have some kind of sales/phone experience, or just any work experience.

I recently applied at a debt collection agency -- not my idea of fun, but it's a start getting experience on the phones -- and they invited me for an interview. Only after setting one up for next week did I bother to look into the company, and I was a little bit disturbed by what I found: tons of reports from supposed debtors claiming that the company had come after them for debts that they didn't owe, used illegal collection tactics, and communicated with them in an abusive, threatening manner. There are reports from current and former employees claiming that the managers encourage all of the above and it's basically the scum of the receivables world. There are hundreds of complaints filed with agencies like the Better Business Bureau and the company is perpetually entangled in legal battles.

It's possible that the reports are from people who are just disgruntled because they don't like being held responsible for their debts, or that the abusive acts are committed by a minority of "bad" employees. I also realize that whatever laws are getting the company in trouble are likely to be unfairly slanted toward debtors.

If, as some reports claim, the company is intentionally coming after people for debts they don't owe, that would be a deal-breaker. I also don't think I have it in me to be abusive, rude or harassing toward people, although it would be difficult to know where to draw the lines.

Ultimately, I guess I won't know exactly what's up unless I give it a try.

What say you guys?

Edited by Severely Maladjusted

If you ponder it for another eight months, you will still find it hard to get a job due to lack of experience.

Many fast food restaurants allow an opportunity to get some experience. While it is not in the line of a precious metal broker, it can provide a future employer with the knowledge that you were able to learn skills needed to perform some form of work. Combine that with research in the area of dealing with precious metals in the capacity of performing the functions of a broker. If you are looking for experience with phone experience, consider telemarking firms. The compensation is usually tied to performance permitting prospective employees an opportunity to prove themselves over time.

While you may not know 'exactly what's up' with the debt collection agency, you've discovered enough to raise questions on your own. If you still choose to give it a try, you do so in the light of the knowledge you have thus far discovered.

What do you expect deadbeats to say?

They came after me, fully justified, because I lacked the responsibility to live within my means and pay my bills. I was wrong and they were right.

?

To get an independent measure, see if they've ever been penalized legally, fined, sued (successfully) or otherwise censured. Are there professional organizations, comparable to the Better Business Bureau, for such firms?

Research it more. If you have to, take the job and subtly inquire what the company is all about from your coworkers or managers (and don't stop looking for jobs in the meantime). If you don't want to take the risk, or taking the job is too fretful for you, you should try being a waiter, working in fast-food, or a temp agency.

Don't compromise yourself or your principles for money, especially when there's many more viable options.

Collection agencies and deadbeat debtors have the same values, and that's why they deserve each other. Whether or not you want to take part in that system is your own free choice, and the best way to find out is to do the job until you know.

It takes big time capital to become a metals broker, and I think that it might be difficult to be taken in as an apprentice in a shop unless you personally knew someone already in the business. You could try starting a micro business by buying a little bulk silver and seeing if you can resell it at a small profit to people you know. Most people wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the convenience of not having to go out shopping for it or paying for shipping. It would be a minimal committment of your time and resources to find out by actual personal experience if you like to do it.

Edited by moralist