Objectivism Online Forum

How does one justify the rape of Dominique in FH?

Rate this topic

Whyz

Tony, is that 'rape "by engraved invitation"' or "rape by engraved invitation"?

The former implies that Miss Rand meant to illustrate an actual rape that was "invited," which is a contradiction (rape is not consensual), the later implies that Miss Rand meant to illustrate something that perhaps appeared to be a rape, on some level, but was not an actual rape, because it was in fact invited or consented to.

John,

A telling point, that I hesitated on at the time. I could not and have not found the exact quote,

but trusting my memory, I *believe* Ayn Rand was asked in an interview (roughly) " Was that rape?" - and her reply,

"Yes, but by engraved invitation." So which version would be more accurate? Yours, most likely.

Thinking some more about my post, It's occured to me that many here were too young to recall that up till

the '80's (I think), rape was considered a 'sexual offence' in the West. Where I grew up in my teens -

in a fairly conservative British Colony - it was never mentioned; or, at most, whispered about, and handled discretely

if it ever went to court. It was years later, that I realised the full import of what it meant.

Probably, it was viewed then, as what we call "date rape" now. i.e. that perception of "She was asking for it, you know!"

The concealed cost to many victims we can only guess at.

The modern psychological assessment upgrading it to a violent crime, is one of the few good things to come from the progressive-liberals, I think.

Anyway, that's to supply context to my statements, and maybe perspective on Rand's "bodice-ripper" sex scene.

(thanks, btw, ScarlettC.)